The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dear migrants, let’s reclaim the flag as a symbol of unity > Comments

Dear migrants, let’s reclaim the flag as a symbol of unity : Comments

By Saeed Khan, published 24/1/2017

Mayor Cotter, standing in front of an Australian flag, gave an impassioned speech about what it meant to be Australian and why we must engage in public life.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
I've been thinking about this, and somethings not sitting right...

Now Saeed, you're calling these Australians racist and xenophobe.
You want the silent majority to stand with you on this issue.
You're claim that too many Aussie 'John Smiths' are 'racist'.
But what exactly does that mean?
First of all I need to respect the fact that some, maybe many of these 'racist' Aussie patriots you want me to cast out like vermin are the sons and daughters of ANZAC's, who fought for this country.
I'm not going to sell them out simply because you 'claim' they are racist.
I have absolutely no right to, their ancestors fought for this country, and they most certainly have the right to voice an opinion in regards to this nation.
Maybe they're racist, maybe they're not.
But their voices deserve to be heard.

If you're going to claim they are racist, then I want to know why they are.
Do they just dislike you for no reason; or do they have a genuine reason?
Maybe they have watched their suburbs been take over.
Maybe their children have had issues with immigrants kids.
Maybe they've been abused or victimised by immigrants.
There is a million reasons why they might have genuine prejudice.

I'm not going to sell out my own countrymen (or women) because you claim they're racist.
You need to earn our respect, freedom isn't free.
The forefathers of this nations people fought for it.

Some of my countrymen and women would sell me out in a heartbeat, but I wonder whether they're real Aussies or generic.
Because I'd never sell them out as citizens just because they held an opinion I opposed.

Your claim of racism could be one big whine that the red carpet wasn't rolled out enough or maybe that by just by whingeing you can more.

Also how can you have national unity, when your religions sees us as infidels and inferior?
How can you get upset by racism, when you're promoting a 'religion' that promotes its own kind of racism against Non-Muslims?

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/Citi/Australian-citizenship-pledge
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 25 January 2017 12:23:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Armchair Critic
You are beyond redemption.
Posted by SKhan, Wednesday, 25 January 2017 6:47:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//There is no such thing as the Cross of St. Patrick; Patrick doesn't have a cross as he was not martyred but died of old age.//

St. David wasn't martyred either, and he has a cross: look up the flag of St. David - same design as the St. George flag, but in black and gold rather white and red. I'm not sure this 'only martyrs get crosses' thing is actually a thing.

Mind you, the addition of the black and gold would foul up the Union Flag. I prefer the revised version which represents Wales with their dragon rather than the cross of their patron saint.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Union_Flag_of_UK_with_Wales.png
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 25 January 2017 6:50:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Saeed,
So now I'm beyond redemption am I?
Well I'd disagree, but even if I am my great grandfather was a commanding officer at Gallipoli, so I'm pretty sure his efforts entitled me to have an opinion, because if it doesn't then I don't know why he was there.

So how exactly am I 'beyond redemption'?
What exactly is your problem - please explain?
Is there an argument I made that you dispute, or is it whine, whine, fricken whine this person is patriotic about his country and he won't bend over and pull his cheeks apart as easily as some other foreign-born generic-australian sellouts?

If you want me to sell my fellow countrymen out then identify them, name them.
Lets go talk to them and find out why they're upset.
You want people to understand why YOU'RE upset don't you?
(Otherwise you wouldn't pedal these whingey articles)
Why shouldn't we try to understand why they are upset?
That would be fair wouldn't it?

Or maybe you don't want national unity at all?
Instead wanting to denigrate, vilify and inflame the divide as this is your vehicle to get what you want?

Don't you understand that I'm a citizen too?
You can't have 'national unity' unless I'm included, are you mentally challenged?
Do you think insulting me will earn my respect?
Does calling me 'a piece of crap' (in roundabout words) promote 'national unity'?
If you claim to want 'national unity' and I'm not included it's just a figure of your imagination do you understand that?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 25 January 2017 7:59:17 AM
A boring puppet of the multicultural "industry", and NGO vacuume cleaner of precious tax payer funds, wasted on the unnecessary:

**Saeed Khan is a writer, diversity advocate, a former Deputy Chair of the Ethnic Communities Council of NSW and a former Treasures of the Federation of Ethnic Communities Council of Australia (FECCA). Twitter @saeedahmedkhan**
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 25 January 2017 8:22:19 AM
Some of our Muslim migrants came over from Afghanistan, with camels, to help lay out the overland telegraph. And apparently of the Sofie tradition, [the oldest and least revised Muslim tradition, who have peaceful cohabitation writ large in their philosophy, which includes meditation?]

And nowadays, they blend in seamlessly! As the Okers who share a beer or celebratory B-B-Q in the generations that followed. Some of who could be the bloke you have a convivial beer with after work or meet at the footy and just as passionate about the home team.

Their wives wear makeup and bikinis, nor are they offended by the odd complementary remark.

I'm not sure about their attitude to intermarriage. But I doubt many would lose much sleep, if a son or daughter met fell in love with and married a decent person of another faith? Or that any children of that issue could be exposed to both philosophies, and then choose what they felt comfortable with, even agnostic but humanistic values?

There are many roads to the top of the mountain! And enlightenment may start with a brick to the head?

And possibly the only way to shut Armchair's mouth, if only to give his brain a look in? United we stand, divided we fall!

We do not need to become our very own middle east! The goal of the eternally argumentative trolls posting here!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 25 January 2017 10:44:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy