The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The children of their generation and ours > Comments

The children of their generation and ours : Comments

By Pru Goward, published 15/6/2002

Pru Goward argues that childless couples have no right to deny benefits to couples with children

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I should like to comment on the article which begins with the 'promo' "Childless couples have no right to deny.." No right is dead right. I do not have children. I am not "childless" or "childfree" as described, I simply wasn't lucky enough to have children. I am really annoyed that at this point in our lives in this country an article has been written which once again targets for denial of 'rights' ANY group. Firstly it is time that this archaic and inflammatory language is stopped. I am a swiging voter but it only took such dramatic poorly chosen words by the newest leader on the left to turn me away from his particular form of dramatic drivel and so it is with Ms Goward. Isn't it time that everyone pointing fingers saying "you have no right" is held accountable for their contribution to endless unproductive discussions on any number of subjects. However to the point. The point is that most people who don't have children, do so either by choice or not but none of them deserves to be 'hung' for what someone supposes their motives might be. I pay my taxes like everyone else. I have no children and therefore have never had the right to "family" leave, Maternity 'leave' I don't begrudge the federal/state/local govt support of children. I don't mind making way for pushy mothers in super markets, obnoxious children in any public place, ('mothers' parking included) I don't mind that every holiday/entertainment/celebration and most free to air television caters predominently for the family and children in particular. I simply take issue with that phrase "have no right". I don't think it's asking too much to simply acknowledge EVERYONE has rights No-one more than others.

Yours truly
Grace
Posted by grace, Sunday, 26 December 2004 11:20:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy