The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Church has a duty to be involved in euthanasia debate > Comments

Church has a duty to be involved in euthanasia debate : Comments

By Megan Best, published 2/9/2016

In any other group, a request for death would alert a doctor for urgent psychiatric review: why is this group of patients being treated so differently?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Great article, well done! I am increasingly amused by the human rights arguments that seem to be spun to of thin air.
Peter Sellick
Posted by Sells, Friday, 2 September 2016 11:53:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just curious about " patients who have died horribly ". It seems that some under heroin / morphine can be unconscious and physically agitated with pain. Induced coma seems to be unconscious, but with some activity. Is that a sensation of pain that is "horrible" for the patient - or is it horrible for the family ?
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 2 September 2016 11:57:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well ttbn: Given that the, out of his tiny mind, blew his brains out bloke you singled out as an example, left a mess for his wife?

Perhaps she would have been less distraught if he bought some heroin from a local dealer and simply overdosed? No photos taken etc? And available to any suicidal anyone who just wants to end it now, minus the mess!

In any event, where there is a will there's always a relative!

One thing I can fault the Author on, is the fact that ever increasing doses of morphine can and does suppress the life force culminating in death from "natural causes"!

This is where we need to change the current law to protect Doctors from the possible consequences, of apparent daily routine in some of our larger hospitals!? Simply put, the law technically sees the aforementioned outcome as the taking of a human life!

It says much about our morality that we can allow a medically assisted termination of (non human) life in the womb, with no legal repercussions in play, but may hold a Doctor or nurse practising palliative care to account, if a patient dies from an alleged overdose of opioids? And provable in a post mortem that includes a toxicology report?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 2 September 2016 12:24:02 PM
Who the hell is Andrew DENTON, other than that 'talking head' on the biased ABC ?

I understand euthanasia is a very delicate subject and one that I believe there's no right or wrong answer. For some folk inflicted with awful pain and other embarrassing symptoms that make their lives intolerable, euthanasia is their best option and a final release for them, in their mind.

While others, also suffering awful levels of pain, all they want and hope for, is some strong pain relief and to have their agony wracked lives, extended as long as possible ?

Personally, I don't support euthanasia at all. Subscribing to the old aphorism 'while there's life, there's hope ? Probably not entirely appropriate to an 'end of life decision', nevertheless it suits my own personal philosophy ?

I understand those poor souls who're in so much agony, they crave access to euthanasia in order to obtain that peaceful relief; And should they be denied it (legally), will more than likely commit suicide ? The legitimacy or otherwise of that statement, I'm not entirely sure. Still if those in the know say it's so, then perhaps they're right. Nevertheless, I would still query it ?
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 2 September 2016 1:51:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Allan B.

Pull your head in. You haven't got the guts to answer simple, straight forward questions to back up your left wing drivel, so I have no interest in anything you say.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 2 September 2016 1:56:49 PM
O sung wu,

Andrew Denton is, as you say, an ABC drone who believes that the comrades are the only ones entitled to freedom of speech. I still believe in the right to euthanise but, for myself, I have given away thoughts of self-destruction; mainly for my family's sake, but also because I want to fight the bastards as long as I can.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 2 September 2016 2:04:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy