The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A spade is a spade: why correct language is so important > Comments

A spade is a spade: why correct language is so important : Comments

By Paul Russell, published 29/8/2016

We clearly see a progression or, perhaps more accurately, an evolution, that stretches back to organisations once upon a time more accurately called 'Voluntary Euthanasia' or 'Hemlock' societies.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Pro-life = anti-abortionist
Transubstantiation = cannibalism

You say tomato I say tomato, let's call the whole thing off

Still nothing useful to say?
Posted by Cobber the hound, Monday, 29 August 2016 9:32:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"money laundering" is nice and stain-free.
"roadside assist" is when your bank-financed fee-gouging blue-tooth rock-climbing wagon breaks down.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 29 August 2016 9:49:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul can ramble as much as he likes. It doesn't disguise the fact that he wants slavery to remain legal in Australia.
Posted by AyameTan, Monday, 29 August 2016 10:46:00 AM
With the greatest respect, you three are complete morons. Try to stick roughly on the topic.

We've been down this path many times before. As an atheist, I'm all too aware that each of our lives is our one and only life. There is no coming back. There is no after-life, no heaven, no Paradise, no continuation of the kale-and-goat-cheese life sitting around one's favourite bistro talking about the best Carrera marble bench-tops.

Life is incredibly precious. So thinking about the option of suicide is incredibly important. Ideally, absolutely nobody else should be involved. Of course, if someone is clearly near their end, medical staff may advise appropriate medication to relieve suffering, knowing from experience that it may hasten that end. Having lost my dear wife in this way to liver cancer, I don't begrudge the wonderful palliative care staff who looked after her in her last days. Five weeks from first pains to the end, it's not enough, but that's certainly not the fault of palliative care staff.

Suicide is suicide, a one-person venture. It should never involve family members or 'friends', or anybody not involved in a medical capacity, as described above. We all get depressed occasionally, some for very good reason, and we may all have suicidal thoughts, but we have to drive through that and picture ourselves being useful, wanted, needed, contributing, even if it's just with a smile.

Remember: You're a long time gone. Your going will probably cause somebody heart-ache and grief for the rest of their lives. They will miss you every day. Think twice.

And you never know who secretly loves you :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 29 August 2016 11:26:29 AM
Slavery never ever was legal in Australia and never ever will be!
[Albeit, some (for whom there will never be enough superlatives) angels merely masquerading as vastly overworked and routinely underpaid nurses may be treated as such!?]

The as above, allegorical allegation demonstrates very ably, how diabolically disingenuous the assisted suicide supporters are, and to a generic man?

Look, anyone of sound mind, can now create a living will to completely control the manner of their natural cause dying, assisted or otherwise!

If we are to improve that outcome? All we need do is protect Doctors from any legalistic repercussions for their complete compliance with your legally witnessed, signed and sealed, legible and unmistakable precise final written instructions!

Even there, cancelable by you, with a deathbed change of mind!

End of story and demonstrably deliberately disingenuous debate!

Assisted suicide can never ever, nor should be, a remedy for clinical depression or imagined symptoms, normal aging or imagined slavery!

Peel me anozzer grape voman und before you mow ze lawn, take out ze garbage, wash und polish ze vloors, prepare mine sauerkraut und sausage mit goulashe und anudder stein of beer.

Und vile due are on your veet, light mine havana, get ze phone und answer ze door; and don't take all day, can't keep ze outservice ladies vaiting.

Mine Got,due need a rocket up your exhaust bipe, day chust don't make slafes the vay day used to Amye? Ha, Ha, ho, ho, he, he.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 29 August 2016 11:57:59 AM
With the greatest respect, And you never know who secretly loves you :) , thanks Joe , but the "moron" word always brings the carving knife closer to carotid artery.
what's a "euphemism?"
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 29 August 2016 1:31:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy