The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Did child care help swing the election? > Comments

Did child care help swing the election? : Comments

By John Cherry, published 1/8/2016

In marginal seats with large numbers of families using childcare, the Government did much better than in seats with low numbers of families using childcare.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
"The swing against the Government was 1.5% lower in seats with an above the median proportion of electors claiming Child Care Rebate than those with a below median proportion of families claiming the rebate".

Child care assistance disproportionately benefits the upper middle class. All that happened was that safe coalition seats swung less against the government than happened for less safe seats, which is what you would expect. It does not necessarily indicate that child care policy in itself was the reason.
Posted by Bren, Monday, 1 August 2016 11:49:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Labor released its policy during the election campaign promising to match the Government’s investment but with relief delivered earlier."
So Labor's policy would be preferable but the Libs won those seats?

Am I missing your point? Or is this one of those issues (like the economy) where the government has a strong reputation that's not backed by reality?
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 1 August 2016 1:32:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Aidan.

"Am I missing your point? Or is this one of those issues (like the economy) where the government has a strong reputation that's not backed by reality?"

Having re-read the article, I find myself asking the same questions.
Posted by Pilgrim, Monday, 1 August 2016 4:10:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy