The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Price-based immigration > Comments

Price-based immigration : Comments

By Philip Lillingston, published 22/2/2016

Are we expected to believe that unconscious or conscious bias, taking the soft option of always giving the applicant the benefit of the doubt, conflict of interest, fraud or outright bribery do not exist?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Yuyutsu, our government appears to struggle to look after our own aged people in their later, more immobile years, so I don't agree with importing others from overseas unless they can afford their own healthcare bills.

My British brother-in-law wants to bring out his parents to Australia to live. They have to pay $100,000 up front to the Government to be kept for any healthcare needs, as well as have top cover private health insurance before they are even considered.
In addition to this, my Brother-in-law has to agree to cover any expenses they may incur over and above what they think they may need.
They are unable to have an Australian pension or aged care card, but will still get the English pension.

I think this is fair, unless of course they are genuine refugees as well, and need to join their families here. Australia needs to do it's part as a country of the wider world in assisting those less fortunate than us, otherwise we are no better than some of the countries refugees are fleeing from.
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 22 February 2016 2:39:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Suse,

But who needs your public healthcare in the first place?

We are talking about people who spend more than $50,000 just on hotels and air-fares, that is more than $100,000 per 3 years, because they are not allowed to remain in Australia and must be away 6 months of every 18. This healthcare thing for them is peanuts! (if they even would trust Australian doctors and hospitals rather than travel overseas if they needed an operation).

Most likely they already hold an international health cover well and beyond what Australian "private" health insurance provides, although they have no problem paying any medical expenses out of their own pocket.

Nor do they ever need to live in poverty on this meagre Australian age-pension, which they wouldn't receive anyway due to the asset-test.

All they need is a permanent tourist visa, which the cruel Australian government doesn't allow them.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 22 February 2016 6:20:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu "But who needs your public healthcare in the first place?"

All very well unless you get a serious health problem and are unable to fly home, as has happened to several patients I knew. Their families had to beg, borrow and owe money to others to help pay for their parents treatments.

Do you have any idea how much some tests, treatments and medications are heavily subsidized by the government under Medicare?
I hope you never have to find out...
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 22 February 2016 7:39:56 PM
Dear Suse,

Tourists are not entitled to Medicare, so what are you concerned about? No money - no medication.
I wish I could be in their position myself in that respect without losing my ability to hold an Australian "private" health insurance.

What do people around the world do anyway about their health costs?
After all, 99.7% of them are not entitled to Australian Medicare!

Some save for a rainy day and so are able to pay such 6-figure medical expenses out of pocket.
Some have money allocated in their families for such unfortunate events, which is passed down the generations to be used if required and accumulated otherwise.
Some are part of a supportive community or a church/synagogue/mosque/temple, so when one falls ill the others open their hearts and pockets to help them. Some communities even tithe in advance for such events.
Some have comprehensive health insurance policies - and never forget when they travel to purchase a travel-insurance policy that includes repatriation expenses.
Some appeal to charities of good will.
Some wouldn't be willing to use conventional/Western medicine anyway, so why should they pay for it?
And yes, others simply die - it's a perfectly legitimate and respectable solution too.

Only Australians strangely believe that they have a right to steal their medical expenses from the pockets of other non-consenting people, without even having to say "Thank You".

The Australian government doesn't like families, in fact it enjoys breaking them.
The Australian government doesn't like independent people.
The Australian government doesn't like self-sufficient communities.
The Australian government doesn't like people who don't want their favours.
It likes everyone to depend on them alone.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 23 February 2016 1:04:36 AM
I was visiting Lichtenstein in the late 1950's when the famous author Paul Gallico wanted to migrate there. The process was that every citizen was asked if they could or would perform the position that he would occupy in their society. As no-one would be displaced he was offered citizenship. I believe the price was $USD100,000. He accepted.
Posted by nemesis 82, Tuesday, 23 February 2016 3:39:11 PM
Yuyutsu, I am NOT talking about tourists here, as there are many people who emigrated to Australia to be with their families, but because they no longer work and are over 65 years of age, they or their family must agree to pay a large sum of money as a bond to our Government in case they need medical treatment (full-price, non-subsidized treatments), because they aren't eligible for Medicare.

Whether or not they 'agree' with Western medicine or not, if they are involved in a bad accident or develop a terrible illness, they may well be transported to hospital without being able to say anything against it. Good luck with paying those bills if you don't have Medicare as well as private health.
I know what I am talking about Yuyutsu, as I work in the industry...
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 23 February 2016 9:27:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy