The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Against marriage reform > Comments

Against marriage reform : Comments

By Max Atkinson, published 21/1/2016

He begins well, reminding readers that reformers have no right to assume opponents are bigoted, and the mere fact that most people support same-sex marriage is not a reason to change the law.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
It really depends on where they do their research. Now If I went to a Gay Bar I could get a Poll that says 100% of people support GM. If I went to a Uni. Campus & did the Poll around the Halls where the GLBT's hang out I could get 100%. Now If they went to Connemara , Mount Morgan or the Kimberlies the percentage would be much lower. In fact non-existent. Would you agree?

That's why there should be a Plebiscite with one simple Question. Do you support Gay marriage. Yes/No. Then we would find out for sure. I would accept the verdict if it came out Yes. Would the GLBT crowd accept the No Vote. No way.

Strangely the GLBT crowd don't want this option to happen. Why?
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 21 January 2016 8:23:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jayb:

"That's why there should be a Plebiscite with one simple Question. Do you support Gay marriage. Yes/No"

It is not a simple question. Given my last post I could not truthfully answer it. It should have to say "do you support a change in the legislation" to which I could truthfully say no.

The whole thing is a slap in the face to couples who demand nothing from the taxpayer. They do not have this irrational need for government approval. They should be the ones complaining the loudest about this outrageous waste of public money.
Posted by phanto, Thursday, 21 January 2016 9:14:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Marriage is a special relationship between a man and woman. Those that want to dispute that can go to buggery.
Posted by Roscop, Friday, 22 January 2016 12:16:31 AM
I think in this day and age in Australia the tired old Christian / religious argument has worn very thin. It’s a distraction and I don’t buy it.
As pointed out eloquently, marriage is a matter of law.

It seems to me that the biological duality as the essence of marriage throughout the world despite differing cultures is a reasonable point. Should that be thrown under the bus because it would seem to be discriminatory otherwise? The argument for same sex marriage is often presented as such.

Marriage is a question of eligibility not equality.
Just imagine if two male tennis players turned up to Wimbledon and insisted on their right to play mixed doubles. !
Is tennis discriminatory?

Should same-sex couples should have the same rights as opposite sex couples?
Of course, but they fail the eligibility criteria when it comes to marriage.
Posted by Dustin, Friday, 22 January 2016 1:11:45 AM
Would MT want to go down in history as the PM who buggered up the Marriage Act?

Labor's Rudd and first woman PM, Julia Whatshername (the one with the $2million bungalow on the beach) didn't volunteer themselves or their governments as the ones to trash the Marriage Act and they had years to do it if they really wanted to.
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 22 January 2016 1:12:40 AM
Quite right Onthebeach, I think it will take a very brave PM like Turnbull to finally put this question to the Australian people and then act on their decision.

Personally, I couldn't care less if 2 consenting adults of the same sex want to get married or not. Who are we to deny them this chance of happiness if that is what they want?
If you don't like it, then don't marry someone of the same sex yourself!
It won't be compulsory, and the sky won't fall in...
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 22 January 2016 1:51:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13