The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia, terrorism and throwing away the key > Comments

Australia, terrorism and throwing away the key : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 17/12/2015

There is everything to say Turnbull could be worse, a sort of Obama-screen placed over a Bush legacy.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I'm sorry, but I find his a most unconvincing, unintelligent and troubling essay! I just don't se Malcolm Turnbull as cast in the same extreme mold as his predecessor!

Albeit the possible prisoner of others of a like minded disposition and obligate to them for his current position? And therefore not his own man? At least not yet?

Even so, his more moderate language seems to be uniting Australians, whereas His predecessor's seemed to be driving them apart, with ultra simplistic wedge politics? Not that I always disagreed with it!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 17 December 2015 9:33:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am surprised there is not more countries being attacked by terrorists. I have heard that during the crusades Muslims were attacking coastal Italian towns, raping Italian women. This theory somewhat explains why southern Italian people are seen with darker skin than Northern Italians. Muslims were taking the fight to Europe.

What does the CIA really do? Fictional television programs may say that it is illegal for the CIA to operate in the US. A large CIA building complex exists in the US of A.

My assumption is that the CIA infiltrates and or creates their own terror organisations, attracting want to be terrorists into CIA controlled organisations. Sending trained terrorists into maintain areas to in most instances murder each other. Sounds a reasonable clever idea. Its bad education and the media's job to distract ideas of the above from being realised.
Posted by steve101, Thursday, 17 December 2015 11:55:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I must say that indefinite detention, perhaps till death, leaves me
very uneasy. What is the legal basis for it ?
Perhps if they are incurably dangerous they could be held on the
grounds of being dangerously insane.
In the case of terrorists that could be true.

Steve 101; the moslems occupied all of Sicily, part of Italy & all of
Spain and occupied Southern France.
They also penetrated up to Czechoslovakia.
Of course in more recent times they were defeated at the gates of
Vienna by Austrian and Polish Armies.
The Koran claims any land previously occupied by moslems, even if
ejected by the locals, remains moslem land forever.

This is why the Arabs claim Israel is an occupier in Palestine.
It is a nonsense of course, the Jews lived in that land some
thousands of years before the invading Arabs arrived.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 17 December 2015 1:36:10 PM
Binoy is right, the steady unwinding of basic principles of democracy is deeply troubling. We risk destroying western values in the ostensible fight to protect them. It is a fundamental principle that a person should not be punished indefinitely or beyond the terms of their sentence. Similarly troubling is the proposal to strip some dual citizens of their citizenship, effectively creating two classes of citizenship; one irrevocable, the other at government discretion.

Rhosty, Turnbull appears more reasonable and less extreme than Abbott, but his actions are not necessarily matching the image. That’s why Binoy talks of an “Obama-screen placed over a Bush legacy”
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 17 December 2015 2:39:13 PM
Rhian, there is a case to detain idefinitely those that are insane.
I do not think anyone would argue about that.
Now, would you consider someone to be insane if after 30 years in gaol
they still showed an intent to murder infidel citizens ?
If that implies they learnt nothing in those thirty years perhaps they are insane ?
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 17 December 2015 3:38:32 PM
Bazz

I don’t think a person who wants to kill their fellow citizens is necessarily insane, and I don’t think spending 30 years in gaol alters that much. Thieves emerge from gaol and steal again. Drink drivers emerge and drive drunk again. We don’t call them insane.
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 17 December 2015 4:02:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy