The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Peter Beattie's big chill > Comments

Peter Beattie's big chill : Comments

By John Black, published 13/9/2005

John Black argues the recent Queensland by-elections have profound implications for Peter Beattie.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Red Pete told us a few years back that if you voted ALP in Queensland he would make One Nation disappear and fade from memory. The long-suffering Queenslanders complied and what did they get? They didn't get what was promised and about 87 residents may have needlessly died (it could be more) because of an inept government. Well done Red Pete. But don't you worry that pretty ginger head of yours, your bloated pension will be waiting for you.
Posted by Sage, Tuesday, 13 September 2005 5:10:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sage

When I was nursing in Toowoomba back in 1994 we nurses were quite excited about the propspect of a Beattie Government - the thinking was that his wife was a nurse and she could get "into his ear" about the then failing Health Care System. Nothing has changed.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Tuesday, 13 September 2005 5:58:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Everything has changed.

When Queenslanders stop whinging, and start implementing the policies that they each protest, we may be all laughing.

Engaging Communities, World Summit, Health, Trade Practices, Development. Collective Securities. What are we talking about?

Civil Engagement has never had a better chance. I believe the problem is with us. What do we want to do about these polices?

UN Forum Brisbane - Get Involved www.miacat.com
Posted by miacat, Tuesday, 13 September 2005 9:45:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I reckon Johns on the money with this analysis.

Beattie is definitely on the nose.

But for my two cents worth the two bi-elections were seen as safe protests against Beattie by traditional Labor voters and swingers.
They carried the expectations of the whole state to 'send a message' (which they did). Whether this translates into a state wide vote swing against Beattie is another matter.

The parallel decline of Howard's popularity will impact on how legitimate Beattie is seen on federal issues. He'll be hard pressed to throw stones at Howard if his own backyard is in a mess. Notice his complete silence on Telstra?

Regional issues will begin to resonate much more thinks me (Petrol, droughts, health)

I predict Beattie will move to Federal politics within 6 months. This will allow a 'new reform agenda to be introduced by now deputy Anna Bligh. 'A newer and smarter state'? What will be the pitch?

But I question if Lorry Spingborg has the right media appeal to be seen as an alternative Premier?. Then again, stranger things have happened and and it is Queensland.

If the Libs and Nats stop bitching with each other and present a real alternative to Beattie NOW (and not in 17 months time) perhaps they'll be a change of government.
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 13 September 2005 10:55:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainer, great post. From my view of things Bob Quinn would prefer to lead a small opposition party than play deputy in the Govt (maybe he see's it differently).

I expect that Beattie is hoping that the edge will have gone off some of the drama's resulting from bleeding various govt owned/controlled organisations dry over the years (and hoping no more come out and bite them). Electricity is on the mend, health is a problem which will take a long time to be fixed but it is so bad now that just pretty bad by next election might seem a lot better (lowered expectations). Mostly QR seems to keep running although I think they got hit fairly hard by Mackenroth.

I'd be interested to see some analysis on the Governments contribution to the water crisis SE Qld is heading into. Clearly we have a major drought which I don't blame them for. We also had the Woolfdeen dam cancelled and I'm suspecting that some other major infrastructure work done earlier might have helped (more pipelines linking what water we do have etc).

Interesting times ahead.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 13 September 2005 11:22:05 PM
There are a few more skunks waiting to assault the voter's noses yet.
The sale of the $billion Dam system to labor dominated Brisbane, Logan and Ipswich councils for only "book value" of $200 million (+ $200 in assumed debt) is one that the rest of Queensland might find a little surprising. For the residents of every other city would have every right to ask, if it is OK for Brisbane, when can we buy our own local Dam at "historical cost" to insulate ourselves from higher water charges?

Does anyone seriously think the Health Department is the only one with an entrenched culture of corruption, incompetence and vindictiveness?
Posted by Perseus, Wednesday, 14 September 2005 4:48:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy