The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > NDIS as a case-study in how not to reform social policy and service delivery > Comments

NDIS as a case-study in how not to reform social policy and service delivery : Comments

By Vern Hughes, published 4/12/2015

$750 million, for example, has been spent to date on ICT systems, none of which will be available for people with disabilities or their families.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The NDIS is the "most significant case" of sending money we don't have.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 4 December 2015 9:38:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was disabled before the stroke, which hasn't resulted in some kind of improvement!

On the ground coal face workers are made redundant by the dozen!?

There are far too many double and triple handling bean counters (chiefs) in this area.

Look, I bought a very secondhand mobility scooter a few days ago and need to have the thing re registered. The upstart of that is I need to get a road worthy ( YES REALLY) and our former testing agencies have been relocated to nearby smaller towns.

I can engage a general carrier and have it shipped as freight and then wait on the on the "service provider's pleasure to get around to checking that the warning device works as does the mandatory lights and the deadman brakes!

Give me a year or two and no unplanned emergencies, and I might even be able to set aside sufficient funds?

Governments are the ones elected to help us, not visa versa! And so typical of moribund Labor thinking, IF IT MOVES TAX IT!

Simply put, if intended outcomes replaced providing a so called service, where all too often the money is tendered before the service is ever provided? Then those funds only redeemable by the so called service provider, after they've fulfilled their side of the obligation as a done and dusted outcome?

Disabled folks wouldn't be keep waiting weeks or months (TRUE) for things needed today, like say something as simple as disposable sanitary pads, a bath transition stool or walking speed independent transport down to the local hydrotherapy pool.

Which parenthetically, is providing quite spectacular results for some stroke victims, only previously considered completely disabled vegetative nursing home residents going somewhere to happen, just a few months previously?

The only spectacular thing occurring in this area, is the amount of hot air being generated by astoundingly verbose pollies and or the so called responsible collecting and collating public servants more interested in generating paper than actually helping people!?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 4 December 2015 9:58:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn, we can afford to spend "money we don't have". We can't afford not to.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 4 December 2015 10:26:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan, you've already admitted you know what you're saying is not true, remember?

You don't know the subjective values of the people whose subjective values you're trying to satisfy by forcibly overriding their subjective values, remember? Rhostry is a case in proof. He's openly telling you it's not working for him and what's happening, and you're telling him he's wrong for no reason, and you want more of what's causing the problem.

All your economic illiteracy is doing is exacerbating a jungle of dysfunctional regulations, tormenting the disabled, and expanding an empire of parasites.

Is that what you really want?

Why don't you pay for their sanitary napkins yourself? That'd be more ethical and cheaper and better and quicker and easier wouldn't it?
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Friday, 4 December 2015 11:59:53 AM
Jardine I have admitted no such thing. Just because we can't definitively quantify the benefits of certain courses of action doesn't mean we can't compare the results to the results of doing nothing.

I don't dispute that the NDIS isn't perfect, but that's no excuse for inaction. None of the problems Rhosty mentioned were caused by the NDIS, but when fully implemented it will fix at least some of them, and there will be a much better understanding of how to fix the rest.

The economic illiteracy is on your part not mine. Unfortunately I've been too busy lately to address the points you made in the Planned Obsolescence thread last week, but I will when I have more time free.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 4 December 2015 1:32:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You did admit it and the economic illiteracy is all yours unless you can show how you took account of all the other variables including the opportunity cost, otherwise you're not comparing apples with apples = mere irrationality and abuse of power.

Go ahead. Prove how you took them into account.

For gossake, if the $22 billion was merely divided among the disabled, and given in cash, how could the results be worse than this?

How anyone can defend such corrupt dysfunctionality on such a huge scale is beyond me, or rather disgraceful.

Why don't you fund it yourself? Give to the disabled all you think they deserve from your own income?

Oh that's right you're already doing that and it's nothing.

If not, prove it.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Friday, 4 December 2015 2:17:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy