The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Elephant in the greenhouse part II > Comments

Elephant in the greenhouse part II : Comments

By Michael Kile, published 4/12/2015

The current world population of 7.3 billion is increasing by 83 million a year. It will reach 8.5 billion by 2030, 9.7 billion by 2050 and 11.2 billion by 2100.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Growth is a problem.
Not a solution.
The problem won`t be solved by more of what caused it.
Things don`t work that way.
Posted by ateday, Friday, 4 December 2015 10:45:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Population is not a problem, problems can always be solved.

Population is however a predicament, predicaments cannot be solved.

Finite resources, lower grades of substitution and efficiency which cannot exceed 100% will guarantee a die-off of some size at some point in the future. It is inevitable, Easter island inhabitants learnt this lesson and we have failed to use this example to our peril.

Western economics and third world population dynamics guarantee the outcome will occur sooner rather than later.

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Friday, 4 December 2015 12:58:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
More power to your prehensile thumb Geoff!

There aren't enough superlatives to describe how much I admire your true grit, real courage and usual clear sighted candor! Not that necessarily means I agree with all you say.

Some folks earn medals of valour on the field of battle? Like say some of those glory seeking officers who reportedly ran roaring, legs if you cain't go any faster, move over and let this yere body through; or just stayed quaking in their tents as the battle roared nearby, only coming out to assume the mantle of command once the battle was ore.

You earn yours every day just by showing up at the terminal, well done old mate!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 4 December 2015 5:01:46 PM
Thanks Rhrosty, being able to communicate, even via keyboard keeps me sane. Life in a wheelchair as a tetraplegic certainly is challenging so any encouragement is appreciated.
Cheers Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Friday, 4 December 2015 5:22:53 PM
Yes hooray for Geoff.
The website Nature Bats Last, and those that link into it confirm his comment.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Friday, 4 December 2015 8:09:02 PM
Thanks Daffy.

The writings of Richard Heinberg, found on www.resilience.org support many of the concerns relating to population and energy, although I sometimes think Heinberg is a little too optimistic regarding renewables.

Likewise, John Michael Greer, also reposted on the above website, seems to indicate a much slower decline or decent for industrial civilisation, and he is very well read and intelligent, his posts are always worth a read.

Similarly, James Howard Kunstler, website I can't write on this post due to the "F" word being included in the web address, posts weekly and provides an always interesting take on things but he is a little too keen on seeing things fall apart, nevertheless his writing style is great and I always enjoy his descriptive wording when describing "tattoo infused, cheese doodle eating, brain dead Americans".

Malthus may have been wrong in his time but at some point down the road his prognostications may just come to pass, I am sure he will roll over and chuckle at our foolishness, but that is what unfettered greed results in.

Cheers Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Friday, 4 December 2015 11:26:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy