The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Three facts about climate change > Comments

Three facts about climate change : Comments

By Michael Kile, published 20/11/2015

With all the headline-grabbing alarmism, how can one form a view on the myriad alleged threats posed by climate change?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All
ANTARCTIC ANOMALY

Weather not climate, but there was an intriguing cold snap last winter too. Adelaide recorded its coldest July in 20 years. Temperatures in Victoria consistently 1C below normal average maximum.”

But the big news is the expanding sea-ice in Antarctica. Was this why southern Australia had its chilliest winter in almost two decades – and first snow in Hobart since 1986?”

The June 2015 Southern Hemisphere sea ice extent was 14.9 million square km, 1.00 million square km or 7.2 percent above the 1981-2010 average. This was the third largest Antarctic sea ice extent on record.

There was above-average sea ice in every region of the Antarctic, with much-above average ice in the eastern Waddell and Ross Seas. June 2015 is the fourth consecutive June with above-average sea ice extent in the Southern Hemisphere.

Yet the experts claim all this is ‘consistent with’ global warming. For ‘even in a warming world’ temperatures in some regions apparently can be colder than average. How convenient.

They say: "The increase in Antarctic sea ice extent might seem paradoxical given changes in the global climate, but it's not when we consider some of the other factors at play.”

What we have here is another unfalsifiable hypothesis. For whether Antarctic sea-ice extent decreases or increases, both outcomes are now interpreted as evidence of warming.

Genuine science - or just an an alarmist tactic to protect the orthodoxy at all costs?”
Posted by Alice Thermopolis, Monday, 7 December 2015 6:05:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From what I can decipher of the confused nonsense of your post, flea, you are talking about extreme weather events, falsely asserted to be due to human caused global warming. Climate scientist Roger Pielke Jr.has read the IPCC Report, and had this to say:
“Anytime that you read claims that invoke disasters loss trends as an indication of human-caused climate change, including the currently popular "billion dollar disasters" meme, you can simply call "bull*t" and point to the IPCC SREX report. “
http://tinyurl.com/opbm8du
Nice to have you nailed by an independent scientist, flea..
Posted by Leo Lane, Monday, 7 December 2015 9:48:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alice

Antarctica has certainly been on the news over the last years in relation to the 5 Pine Island Glaciers and the Totem Glacier.

ExxonMobil, Koch brothers et al have been very successful in creating doubt through funding denier groups. Exxonmobil's own documentation shows they were doing so.

http://www.carbonbrief.org/qa-is-antarctica-gaining-or-losing-ice

http://climatecrocks.com/2015/11/03/more-on-antarctic-ice-melt/

Zwally et al have published a paper very recently that shows research till 2008 of Antarctica; the author suggests that deniers will miss use the research he has provided.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/igsoc/jog/pre-prints/content-ings_jog_15j071;jsessionid=pi1c23u2cqo4.alexandra

Zwally et al paper has been critiqued on the basis of how they took measurements; but Zwally makes a point of saying that man created climate change is real.

Leo

The Attorney General Eric Schneiderman of New York has been investigating ExxonMobil for 12 months for what he terms possible criminal behaviour and subpoena has been presented to the company.

The underlying question from my last post was, what is going on with the weather events in 2015? In relation to cyclone Patricia, a Meteorologist suggested it was a 1 in 1,000 year possible statical chance and stated there had been 5 such other occurrences in the US since 2010. No single example provided was attributed to climate change, though each example given is extremely unusual.

The short video clip at the end of the article gives an excellent description on what can be expected from climate change in relation to weather. A number of references are provided in the article.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/extreme-weather-global-warming-intermediate.htm

Which single weather event of 2015 in my last post was attributed to climate change, Leo?

The Fijians in Paris have stated at Paris that 40 communities have had to be moved and are expecting another 400 will need to do so through sea rise.
Already a Marshall Island has succumbed to a rising sea level.
Posted by ant, Tuesday, 8 December 2015 8:59:12 AM
Leo

This lobbed onto my Face Book page today; the article is about how ExxonMobil has repudiated the Republican Party for being out of touch in relation to anthropogenic climate change.

This is the headline of the article: "ExxonMobil Warns of ‘Catastrophic’ 7°F to 12°F Global Warming Without Government Action"

The first sentences:

"It’s a Through-The-Looking-Glass world. The Washington Post reports Sunday that ExxonMobil has a far saner view of global warming than the national Republican party.
Fred Hiatt, the paper’s centrist editorial page editor, drops this bombshell:
With no government action, Exxon experts told us during a visit to The Post last week, average temperatures are likely to rise by a catastrophic (my word, not theirs) 5 degrees Celsius, with rises of 6, 7 or even more quite possible."

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/12/07/3728921/exxonmobil-warns-catastrophic-global-warming/
Posted by ant, Tuesday, 8 December 2015 12:15:51 PM
ant

Stop squirming and wriggling and incanting your liturgy and answer the question directly on point without evasion.

Do you, or do you not, understand that a scientific proof cannot rely on any logical fallacy including appeal to absent authority?
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Tuesday, 8 December 2015 5:07:23 PM
This is my first reply on this forum and My first Question to you all on climate change.
My Question ? If I was to cut the top off a 20 litre/5 gallon drum and fill it to the top with water and then light up a oxy torch fitted with a cutting tip set to maxiumn heat and place the heating tip a few inches above the water, my Question is ? how many hrs would it take before I got the water in the drum hot enough that the average person wouldn't be able to drink it.
Posted by TRUE TO MY WORD, Sunday, 13 December 2015 7:47:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All