The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The gods of secular humanism > Comments

The gods of secular humanism : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 17/11/2015

It is obvious now that the language of human rights has become do debased as to be next to useless. Any idea that seems good is now elevated to the status of a right.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
"I think we are reaching a saturation point in the West in which new technology has become ho hum. We may die of boredom! We might begin to think "is this all there is?"

Perhaps the fixation with selfies, addiction to video games, and research into ways of providing us with robots to do our housework and driverless cars, are the first signs that 'progress for progress sake' is starting to reach its limit or has become devoid of common sense.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Tuesday, 17 November 2015 4:33:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The ultimate human demonstration of the inherent fault of "Creator-God-Religion" which Sells promotes - and of all other modes of the ego-based and ego-serving culture of "world"-idealization, and bodily idealization, and mind idealization (which are the intrinsic essentially utopian characteristics of such "Creator-God-Religion)- is its inevitable secular revisioning as a merely political, social, and economic consumer-culture".

The American prosperity "gospel" is an obvious example of this. Here in Australia the obvious example of that is the Sydney Barnumesque Hillsong outfit. There is of course nothing wrong with being prosperous.

The first paragraph was a modified version of a paragraph in an essay on praying-to-the-parental-god-for-favors prayer from the Truth telling book introduced here:

http://www.dabase.org/aletheon.htm
A book which addresses in very real terms why it is now necessary to throw or sweep away with both hands the now-archaic cultic idolatries promoted by the old-time religions.
This essay is also featured on the above reference:
http://www.dabase.org/up-1-1.htm

Also The (necessary) New Reformation (beyond the childish parental-deity)
http://www.beezone.com/AdiDa/ScientificProof/chap_1_the_new_reformation.html
Posted by Daffy Duck, Tuesday, 17 November 2015 5:24:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The origin & consequences of the politics of fear:
http://www.dabase.org/p5egoicsociety.htm

And of the intrinsic need for a radically new understanding of how everyone and everything is instantaneously inter-connected.
http://www.dabase.org/p9rightness.htm

It was written in response to the execution of the former big-time bad guy leader of Iraq - who of course we were all taught to hate, especially by the "conservative" media, e.g the Murdoch/Fox (faux) "news"
Posted by Daffy Duck, Tuesday, 17 November 2015 5:44:19 PM
At last, I thought. Peter Sellick has written an article with which I am in - almost - full agreement. I've waited a long time for this.

"Attempts to establish jurisprudence on individual rights is fundamentally misguided. They are Utopian and sterile; Utopian, because they do not exist in real life or in law; sterile, because they cannot form the basis of a coherent jurisprudence. Rather, they are based on subjective whim with no relation to actual circumstances."

Neatly put. And extremely accurate. The entire human rights "movement" is based on a series of fundamental fallacies, and should be consigned as quickly as possible to the dustbin of history.

Fat chance, of course. But certainly worth a good old-fashioned whinge.

Mind you, Mr Sellick's belated attempt to religionize the argument falls completely flat.

"We have here three examples in which we surrender our common sense to the idea of perfection. This looks like religious behaviour."

Actually, no.

We have surrendered our common sense to the concept of democracy, not the idea of perfection. We have decided, probably faute de mieux, that living in a "democracy" consists of giving away our freedoms to a bunch of salaried bureaucrats, who display the collective imagination of a stick of rhubarb.

That isn't actually religious behaviour, but could well be a simulacrum thereof. It is manipulation of a people by means of convincing them that "it is for your own good that I do this". Much of what is dressed up as religion is based upon a similar power play, is it not.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 17 November 2015 6:25:01 PM
"We may live much longer than previous generations but we are not sure what to do with the extra years; they are simply an extension of meaningless existence. We have traded lived intensity for longevity. Our inability to deal with death means that we live in fear. It is that fear that drives our obsession with the body leaving the psyche neglected."

Peter, who is the 'we' you are discussing above? Is it you and your friends?
Because I know many retirees who are having no problems deciding what to do with their latter years...whether they believe in a god or not.
I strongly believe that you don't need to believe in any old religious books written by men, or in any imaginary beings, to have a meaningful existence.

If this were not the case, then secularism would not be growing as fast in popularity and numbers as it is. Most people aren't stupid, and they are right to question what thousands of years of words given to us by mere men, not by any god, have tried to rave on about so we all do as they say.
Who says most people don't deal with death well? Having been by the side of very many dying people over the years, I can tell you that the atheists and other non-religious people died just the same as any religious ones did...they didn't appear any more scared or upset than the others at all.

Sorry, but those religion filled lives are not being lived by many very intelligent and fulfilled people. And that is just fine. No one is telling anyone else not to believe in gods.
No more hellfire and damnation for me thanks. I will leave all that 'joy' to people like Runner and Josephus.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 17 November 2015 8:43:00 PM
I believe in God, a creator, and that from nothing you get nothing, I just don't believe in organised religion, or that any of it can claim an unbroken link to the apostles.

Just a link to the moral authority of the spanish inquisition and to kill in god's name, the burning at the stake of Joan of arc; and a link to warrior popes at the head of armies That engaged in all sort of barbarities, in an effort to control the population!

For mine very little has changed, church officials seem hell bent on control; and a bill of human rights, which must include a right to be different has to be included, would loosen a grip and control they simply have no right to exercise!

And because someone said something in some very old book proves nothing except bias conformation and a disturbing predilection to simply label, verbal and cast aspersion on those who just don't agree with your peculiar rigid, narrow take on reality, Sells.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 17 November 2015 11:51:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy