The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How data empowered the economic individual and gained a Nobel for Angus Deaton > Comments

How data empowered the economic individual and gained a Nobel for Angus Deaton : Comments

By Vincent O'Sullivan, published 14/10/2015

It is a choice perhaps with a view to addressing criticism that the discipline of economics can sometimes seem like ideology rather than science.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Where the author says:

"Later in the book, he convincingly argues, that long-term aid to countries does more a lot more harm than good..."

This can apply to the military area in terms of Australian military and wider aid to Iraq and Afghanistan. The more Australian boots in those countries, bombing those countries and broader aid the worse these countries get.

Iraq is on the Western gravy train again. Australia should follow New Zealand's lead to abandon the now pro-Russian Shiite Government of Iraq.

About Iraq NZ Prime Minister Key, October 7, 2015, said http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11525340 :

"However, he did not believe it would justify extending the deployment beyond the two year limit he had set.

"Quite frankly this is likely to be a troubled part of the world for a very long period of time - we could arguably stay here forever. But this isn't New Zealand's engagement. I think New Zealand has a job to do here. We're doing it. I think there should be an exit point and that exit point at about two years feels about right to me."
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 14 October 2015 11:42:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Australia should follow New Zealand's lead to abandon the now pro-Russian Shiite Government of Iraq"

Agree
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 14 October 2015 12:00:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Has Australia sorted out which side they are barracking for yet. Or is that still confusion. Bishop was telling us that Assad was going to be favourite. But I think that was put in doubt now that the Russians want some too.

The Chinese were going to get some, but I think Obama told them to stay at home.

I did not like it when Abbott wanted to go into Syria. But we all know what that was all about don’t we.

Australian lives at risk, to shore up a flagging govt; that should be illegal. All while we are in dire straits remember. Who could forget.

By the time a conclusion is found there will be nothing left, but a pile of bomb craters.

Australia should be looking over our own region. Indonesia is becoming increasingly worried about an invasion from Malayan extremists gathering momentum. We should be right there with the Indonesians, if they have got over you know who yet.

Probably having the same foreign minister is objectionable, the playing surface could be to sticky to play on.

Arche province has sharia law being practiced, so I would be staying closer to home.

The Us may say that’s your baby
Posted by doog, Wednesday, 14 October 2015 1:53:25 PM
plantagenet, onthebeach & doog, of course all of that is what conservatives have been saying they want, except that it is only possible to choose neutral positions like that, if you have your own strong military through conscription & supplying the soldiers with high tech weapons. in WW2 Sweden & Switzerland were armed to the teeth, well trained as well.
Posted by imacentristmoderate, Wednesday, 14 October 2015 11:51:54 PM
Deaton's prize is well deserved. "The Great Escape" is as great analysis of progress and inequality.
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 15 October 2015 11:42:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy