The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Low oil prices are here to stay as the US shale oil revolution goes global > Comments

Low oil prices are here to stay as the US shale oil revolution goes global : Comments

By Robert Aguilera and Marian Radetzki, published 8/10/2015

The great oil boom is over as supply more than equals demand.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Interesting piece. May I suggest that the authors find an editor to fix some doubtful English.
Posted by Sells, Thursday, 8 October 2015 12:19:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, very interesting article, thanks.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Thursday, 8 October 2015 3:02:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As optimistic as the two authors are, a little bit of reality should be directed into the conversation. I highly recommend everyone, including the authors read this http://ourfiniteworld.com/2015/09/29/low-oil-prices-why-worry/

A dose of reality often helps and the old chestnut "technology will save us" is also very relevant in this case, if you doubt me read this, http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2015/09/you-call-this-progress/

We won't know how accurate this article and its assumptions are for quite some time, but I would suggest that declines in conventional oil production out to 2035 will result in a very different scenario than the authors appear to believe in.
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Thursday, 8 October 2015 3:06:04 PM
Hmmm yes interesting. I will wait to see what the oil field engineers
and geologists have to say about it.
There is a very widespread resistance to fracking in Europe and it is
not unknown here. Of course that attitude could rapidly change if there
are economic penalties for not fracking.

It is interesting to look at the production curves of fracked wells in the UK.
The decline is fairly rapid, 20 to 30 % a year, and as new wells are
drilled further away from the early "sweet spot" locations the decline
is faster.

However fracked oil is about three times the price of conventional
oil and it contains less energy and includes gas liquids so a barrel
does not equal a barrel.
All the same it will be helpful. I just wonder why there has not
been a rush to produce fracked oil near Coober Peady ?
Very strange in a country that imports 100% of its petrol & diesel.
Might be that it will be too expensive.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 8 October 2015 3:44:08 PM
funny that the same 'scientist'that banged on about global cooling in the 1970's also predicted the world would have no oil by 2000. Must be great having a job with no accountability just dumb predictions. Ask the current warmist.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 8 October 2015 3:47:00 PM
Runner, I will bet quids that if you went back and checked you would
find he expected the production peak to occur in 2000.
That date was a predicted about 1970 when the US peaked.
It was only 5 years out not bad over that period.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 8 October 2015 4:04:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy