The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > You don't know the half of it: temperature adjustments and the Australian Bureau of Meteorology > Comments

You don't know the half of it: temperature adjustments and the Australian Bureau of Meteorology : Comments

By Jennifer Marohasy, published 28/9/2015

The resulting catastrophic flooding of Brisbane is now recognized as a 'dam release flood', and the subject of a class action lawsuit by Brisbane residents against the Queensland government.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
And who would the 'they' be in that last sentence Chris?

What privately funded science do you do?

I think I might like to get in on that action.
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 29 September 2015 6:26:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//My expectations of climate science have been repeatedly proven right over the years; and the public can judge them by integrity of the arguments and tactics they use//

Like "There hasn't been any warming since 1998", a record El Nino year.

Like "Temperatures precede CO2 changes by 800 years in the ice-age cycle!" as if climatologists didn't already *know* this, and hadn't already measured out the fact that Milankovitch cycles alone were not enough to account for about 40% of the warming when coming out of an ice age or cooling when going into one. CO2 trapped under ice sheets took the temperatures down lower in the heart of an ice age by 40%!

Like "It's the sun" when solar activity has been pretty standard for a long time while the climate warms.

Like "We don't know where the heat goes" when it's going into the oceans and getting burped back up in ever worse El Nino's.

Like all the other cliche pet topics that 'climate sceptics' (too kind a term) have loaded in their "Forum Gun" and just blurt them out, and whenever the peer-reviewed data from multiple credible organisations smashes their cherrypicked arguments out of the water, they just abandon argument A and move on to B. When B gets smashed, assert C. Right on through the argument until months later they're back to A and people have logged off from boredom and not recognised this very obvious pattern!

The *only* sceptical argument I have seen with any validity to it was Glaciergate. And for that, I thank them! It shows how even with a vast number of peer-reviewed scientists working together, sometimes some dodgy report can get through. Well done! You did your job! But "there's been no warming since 1998?" Really? Cherrypicking much? Seriously? That old chestnut is still being circulated, even in this thread? Far out. Some people need to get a life.
Posted by Max Green, Tuesday, 29 September 2015 7:54:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jennifer has always reminded me a little of Parallax,

“Samuel Birley Rowbotham (1816–1884) was an English inventor and writer who wrote Zetetic Astronomy: Earth Not a Globe under the pseudonym "Parallax". His work was based on his decade-long studies of the earth and was originally published as a 16-page pamphlet (1849), which he later expanded into a 430-page book (1881). According to Rowbotham's method, which he called Zetetic Astronomy, the earth is an enclosed plane, centered at the North Pole and bounded along its outward edge by a wall of ice, with the sun, moon, planets, and stars only a few hundred miles above the surface of the earth.

Like a terrier vigorously attacking the tail of the elephant while the rest of the beast continues to saunder forward.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 30 September 2015 10:54:28 PM
Jennifer states we know less than half. Thank goodness for that. There is only so much fantasy fiction that can be absorbed.

OK, the Abbott government may have been pushed by The Australian to review BOM; because of articles written by Lloyd in that paper; who got all of his views from Jennifer.

So, this comedy stars only one person - Jennifer, who has no meteorological experience, and only minuscule physics.

It is no wonder that the totality of the science literate community trying to besmirch BOM is, and always has been, one biologist. The question is: why? What is to be gained by attempting to hurt BOM's reputation? The basic science behind global warming was settled in the 1800s. And no fault in that science identified to date. And evidence of global warming impact is found in many, many branches of science. The edifice of scientific knowledge showing the horrendous direction the earth is heading almost leaves global air temperature behind.

I have a reasonably deep understanding of physics. I worked at BOM for12 years, an organisation dedicated to community service and highly professional in their work; spent a year at Mawson. I have enjoyed decades of adventure in the mountains, here and overseas.

I am exceptionally frightened by the environment we are taking our planet and home towards.

The world is chaotically moving towards keeping temperature rise to 2C.

BUT, climate scientists believe 2C is catastrophically too high.

Of course I am frightened.
Posted by Tony153, Thursday, 1 October 2015 8:33:39 PM
To Shadow Minister,
To correct the record,
the unhomogenised data shows slightly more warming than the homogenised data does.
This sort of leaves a large sink hole under Jennifer's nefarious claims.
Posted by Tony153, Friday, 2 October 2015 11:25:52 AM
Tony,

All the articles I have seen have stated that the homogenized data shows increased warming. If you have data showing otherwise, please point me in that direction.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 3 October 2015 3:34:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy