The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Civic mindedness US style! > Comments

Civic mindedness US style! : Comments

By Brett Bowden, published 8/9/2005

Brett Bowden argues Hurricane Katrina has shown how fast the degeneration of civil order can occur in the United States.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Tinkerbell

Thank you for your insightful posts. You have lived in the region. Most posters have not.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Saturday, 10 September 2005 9:38:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Laurie I rest my case.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 12 September 2005 9:25:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Kenny- it seemed a low blow, but then what do you know? Turns out you were very right...

Boaz, if God 'punished' people for their 'debauchery', do only 'sinners' and 'heathens' suffer from natural disasters? I'm sure all of those who have suffered from bushfires, floods, storms, earthquakes, tsunamis etc etc etc are very glad to hear that. *shakes head in disgust*
Posted by Laurie, Monday, 12 September 2005 12:29:47 PM
I am increasingly worried about "culture". Particularly "institutionalised culture" in the Governmnets of Australia, the US and the UK.

I believe we are heading towards the diemmas of pre-World war and post World war 1+ 2. The idealogies through most topics that we a debating stink of the rhetoric present at that time - only the "label's" have different names.

I fear we are not utilising our knowledge productively. We react to everything "sensational" and defie the essential debate in the "development" of being human.

Kathina is a message - showing how we (in the West) can get it so wrong. All the technical ability in the universe will not help us care or protect fellow cilvilans, unless the focus "to do just that" is applied.

In this way, I believe institutional reform is essential. We have the knowledge, we have most of the polices, but somehow individuals making up these institutions - are missing something essential - in being human.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Tuesday, 13 September 2005 10:12:30 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy