The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can Turnbull expand the Liberal constituency? > Comments

Can Turnbull expand the Liberal constituency? : Comments

By Graham Young, published 15/9/2015

Turnbull is a centrist and pragmatist, which means he will struggle to carry the hearts, although he may capture the votes, of the grass roots of the Liberal Party.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
It had to happen...unless the Coalition wanted to go down like a screaming wreck at the next election.

I can't believe even die hard Lib supporters couldn't see the wretchedness of the govt's position due to Abbott and his "cunning plans".

The heat is now on Shorten - that should please some people around here.

(Has anyone checked on Hasbeen? - he won't be taking this well)
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 15 September 2015 9:02:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
HI OTB,

You lightly assert that "Turnbull is as egocentric, slippery and populist as Shorten". I must protest that that is a most dreadful and hurtful thing to say about Turnbull, but the next few months should test that.

I WAS hoping for a Turnbull-Plibersek election, but of course, the way that the Labor Party chooses its parliamentary leader means that it is stuck with Shorten for a while yet. So is the Royal Commission :)

Wouldn't be dead for quids !

So will Turnbull go early or wait ? I'm predicting an election early next year, by March or April.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 15 September 2015 9:27:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If he wants to stamp himself as a leader he should go DD as soon as he can to get the Senate back to a workable semblance.
Posted by Luciferase, Tuesday, 15 September 2015 9:44:58 AM
Yep, it's a problem across the western world, globalisation seems to have made the old party formations redundant. New formations are required, perhaps the liberal environmental city based globalist groups need to form a new party and the suburban and rural groups could form a type of Christian democratic party.
Posted by progressive pat, Tuesday, 15 September 2015 9:56:49 AM
I find Turnbull the most cynical, self-serving, self-loving, power-hungry individual ever to enter politics. His only commitment is to himself. Along with his nasty, mutton-dressed-as-lamb deputy, he will finish the Liberal party off.

I had aready decided to cast an informal vote, but the change in leadership has made me more determinec to do that. These galahs, after chastising Labor's Rudd, Gillard, Rudd coniptions, have done the same thing, and have lost all right to government. It no longer matters whether it is they or Labor who forms government next year. There is not much hope for Australia either way,
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 15 September 2015 9:59:27 AM
Joe (Loudmouth),

You are right, I did vastly undervalue Shorten in all of those respects.

Shorten is also a lay down Misere for lack of principles and ethics, but that goes without saying.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 15 September 2015 10:01:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy