The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reasons for changing marriage remain flawed > Comments

Reasons for changing marriage remain flawed : Comments

By Murray Campbell, published 10/7/2015

The espoused 'equal love' cry is not an argument for monogamous life-long marriages, but an argument for embracing any kind of genuinely loving relationship as marriage.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
The author acknowledges that this topic is highly emotional, but then tries to calm us down saying: "the reasoning for change is big on emotion and little on substance".

I believe that this is because the author fails to see the full dimension of the issue. Indeed, whether or not homosexuals can receive a piece-of-paper from the government stating that they are married is by itself a storm in a teacup, but that's not the real issue, which I further believe that the author fails to see because he agrees with Obama:

"I agree with President Obama's proposition that all people are created equal. This is a biological and theological fact."

This is obviously nonsense - obviously no two people are equal. Yes, in the ultimate sense we are all the same one - God, thus we cannot be unequal, but in the relative sense, those humans we mistakenly think we are were never equal whichever way you want to look at them.

The author continues:

"To treat persons who are different to ourselves with anything less than respect and love is to deny the faith"

Sure, but treating a person with respect and love is quite different than treating them as equal.

Having agreed in principle as if all people are equal, what the author sees is just a petty quarrel in the family, whereas the real issue is that this is just one small battle in the big war of "equality".

The terrible thing about equality, is that in its attempt to deny the fruits of self-discipline and dedication, the "equality camp" denies the possibility of spiritual progress.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Saturday, 11 July 2015 11:53:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Murray. I generally agree with our proposition that the 'language' in which we frame the argument is fundamental to making rational and reasoned argument in progressing the debate. Good on you for putting the 'marriage equality' trope under scrutiny and demanding a less lazy definition of slogan in arguing either for or against the proposition.

I take you to task however, when you state "Despite differences in gender, in personality, in culture and race, every human being is equal.". I believe that the "equality" meme is disingenuous when applied to "culture". It is cultural relativism to maintain a position wherein 'abandoning the elderly to die either in the deserts or the snows', to genitally mutilate females within the society, to burn the widow or to maintain internicinal conflict for generations between families or clans/tribes is of equal value to that culture to which I am a member. I consider 'my culture' to be vastly superior to many others.
Your distress at the inaccurate simplicity of 'marriage equality' is the same as the inaccurate simplicity of 'climate denier'. Well written article.
Posted by Prompete, Sunday, 12 July 2015 5:37:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy