The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Infrastructure funding needs more thought > Comments

Infrastructure funding needs more thought : Comments

By Graham Young, published 7/7/2015

How do you finance new state infrastructure when you have taken the pledge not to use debt or increased taxes?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Yes, you are right Outrider, I should have looked up the statistics first.
When I did, I was surprised by what I found.

http://www.qgso.qld.gov.au/products/reports/pop-growth-qld/pop-growth-qld-201412.pdf

It seems Queensland's population has been declining last year, with natural population growth the largest contributor, followed by migration, and then only a relatively small interstate movement to Queensland.
WA (where I live) are doing better at present.

My aged father lives in Queensland and is always moaning about 'all those Southerners ' moving up to Queensland and ruining the place! It seems he was exaggerating.
Maybe you might even know him Hasbeen.
Your rantings remind me of him.
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 12:50:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suseonline,

Government reports state that around one third of Queensland's population were either born overseas or have at least one parent born overseas.

There are over 220 languages spoken, more than 100 religious beliefs and 220 countries are represented.

Of the 888,636 Queenslanders born overseas, 40 per cent have arrived since 2000. Examples,

Brisbane (28.3 per cent),
Gold Coast (27.9 per cent),
Logan (26.1 per cent),
Cook (23.2 per cent) and
Redland (22.6 per cent)

9.8 per cent of Queenslanders speak a language other than English at home, with the most common language spoken at home other than English being Mandarin, followed by Cantonese and Vietnamese (compared with Mandarin, Italian and Arabic respectively for the rest of Australia).
[Diversity Figures 2011 and climbing]
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 3:15:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Really Onthebeach? 888,000 Queenslanders were born overseas?
Where are the stats for that number?

It's true though that we are certainly a multicultural country, and a very successful one.
When you think about it, all Australians are descendants of migrants (or forced migrants!), except for the Aboriginals.
It would do well for more of us to remember that fact.
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 9:17:54 AM
Do wake up Suse.

Aboriginals were migrants, just like my great grandfather, just they came a little earlier than him.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 10:14:49 AM
Suseonline,

You were shooting your mouth off as per usual, completely oblivious to the facts as per usual and again, as per usual, got proved wrong.

The facts speak for themselves, Australians are proved to be among the most generous, welcoming peoples of the world for migrants. If the numbers are extended to show the second generation of migrants the numbers are very telling indeed.

What other country has put its own culture, traditions and quality of life on the line as has Australia?

What other country puts such a burden on its own young working couples by forcing them to bear the burden of infrastructure, inflated house prices, Centrelink, education and medical benefits taking the spill from the OVER-fertility of other countries?

You and others like you are an absolute disgrace for your continuous negging and disrespect shown towards the wonderful population you are part of, and for your expectation that young working couples will very soon have to carry YOUR considerable weight ON TOP OF the weight of the ageing migrants and their family reunion numbers.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 11:47:54 AM
Really Onthebeach, you should read your last post again.
You are the only one 'negging' about this issue at present..

You talk about me getting it wrong, where are your stats to prove your rant about there being over 880,000 Queenslanders born overseas hey?
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 1:19:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy