The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why I won’t be voting for an increase in childcare funding > Comments

Why I won’t be voting for an increase in childcare funding : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 6/7/2015

Over the past decade or so, subsidies for childcare have grown continuously and rapidly to the point where they now pose a real threat to long-term budget sustainability.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
There is enormous hypocrisy on this issue. Most politicians, especially on the left, will say that they are against middle-class welfare, yet childcare subsidies and paid parental leave (which overwhelmingly benefit the middle class) have been their 'holy grail'.

Effectively, the reason so much money is thrown at child care (and paid parental leave) is that public policy has attempted to force women with young children to remain in the workforce no matter what the cost. The same motivation was behind the abolition of the Dependent Spouse Rebate.

Part of the problem with regulation is that a high-cost system is forced onto the consumer, who has little choice but to choose "quality" child care in order to get the subsidies. Equally incentives to use the (largely free) informal child care of relatives are greatly reduced within the current subsidised system. People have been fooled into thinking that child care handouts are "free", when in reality it just results in higher required levels of taxation.

Apart from the very poor, people should take responsibility for their own choices. Those who have children should be responsible for the cost of their care - not the State. What next? Shall we make it a government responsibility to take all dogs for a daily walk?
Posted by Bren, Monday, 6 July 2015 9:54:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Bren, we'd hear a huge howl from David and his ilk if we decided to half pollies salaries and put them on the same footing as pensioners or self funded superannuants, minus the super subsidies, once they have moved on.

Those with their noses s buried so deeply in the taxpayer funded trough can hardly attack others subsidized by it!?

What David wants is to cut the pay of dedicated professionals?

Instead of fixing the funding paradigm to make childcare affordable for all; but particularly, those like single mums with no other choice but to work!

And that is only possible via massive tax reform and the end of all forms of tax avoidance!

Your point about the dependant spouse rebate is well made!

And why I won't be voting for an increase in polly pay packets any time soon!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 6 July 2015 10:56:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If mothers were doing what they are supposed to be doing - mothering - there would be no need for childcare, and we would have well developed kids. But, no! Consumerism has everybody by the throat, and society is gradually falling apart.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 6 July 2015 11:00:50 AM
Superb book by Professor Dave Garber on the "joys" of rules and bureaucracy. Something this article alludes to.

http://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Rules-Technology-Stupidity-Bureaucracy/dp/1612193749/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436148171&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=dave+graeber+rules
Posted by Valley Guy, Monday, 6 July 2015 12:05:15 PM
I agree with tbbn. Mothers are hopefully 'wanting' to bring up their children full-time - not shunting them off to child care when they believe that they 'must' work. A woman has the 'right' to decide what she wants to do but not, I suggest, expect the taxpayer to fund them.
The concept of the notion of putting 'responsibility for actions via consequences' appears to be largely forgotten by many welfare-dependent citizens who want the State to subsidize their going to work to earn money so that they can 'keep up with their peers'. Are air-conditioned late model cars, plasma screen TVs, designer clothes, 4x2 houses[with or without cinema rooms] really a Necessity or are they just a consumer-driven want via marketing?

If I get pregnant [apart from rape] is that the State's problem ?

My wife works as a supervisor in a Vacation Care and After School Care facility and is really doing the job of mothers in training their kids what obeying rules, sharing, respecting others, not expecting the whole world to revolve around them, and finding something themselves occasionally to do instead of the mantra "I'm bored because I can't use my 'tablet' or 'x box' all day without any restraints is all about - Shock, Horror!
Posted by ZhanPintu, Monday, 6 July 2015 12:30:32 PM
"I support payments for the poorest parents so that kids can be raised with good nutrition, shelter, clothing and care. But my support is on welfare grounds, not because it is legitimate to impose middle-class child-rearing preferences on the rest of the population. Having children is not a reason to help oneself to other people's money."

So do I, very sensible comments. Now if we could extend that principle to stop subsidies for private education, soft loans and subsidies to farmers and multicultural organisations and concessions to foreign mining companies as well, the taxpayers would save a fortune.
Posted by mac, Monday, 6 July 2015 2:43:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy