The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The rule of law: what does it really mean? > Comments

The rule of law: what does it really mean? : Comments

By John de Meyrick, published 1/7/2015

In essence, it means that we are ruled by the law of the people, not by the arbitrary law of a superior individual or power group operating above the law.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
As far as I can see the rule of law has nothing to do with rule by the people, or the people's representatives in the government. It has even less to do with justice. Anyone expecting justice to triumph over precedent, or the whim of some judges is a bit foolish.

The law is controlled by people who have a legal qualification, granted by some university. They form the entire body of judges, & legal practitioners. These judges regularly thumb their noses at the will of the people in the form of the government.

In Queensland they have recently forced the resignation of the top judge, legally appointed by the parliament, when that appointment did not meet their approval, or plan of succession.

In the USA just one of them has decided to make same sex marriage legal. That these legal practitioners can claim to be administering the law, when such a basic new law can be instituted by a 5 to 4 decision of a court indicates how we are governed not by the law, or government, but by the whim of a few old self-satisfied fools, answerable to no one.

Keep arguing about peripheral matters people, that will effect nothing. Thank god I'm too old to be bothered with who rules me these days, or I might get upset about it all.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 2 July 2015 2:04:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu, the law of gravity?
Not at all. But I don't think this law was made in 'heaven' was it?
I believe a human worked this out all by himself.
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 2 July 2015 10:52:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Suse,

<<I believe a human worked this out all by himself.>>

How wonderful - so before Newton, when apples detached from trees they flew up to the sky...
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 2 July 2015 11:04:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy