The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bemused among the basket weavers > Comments

Bemused among the basket weavers : Comments

By Chris Golis, published 25/5/2015

When Tommy Wieringa tried to argue that the boat people crossing the Mediterranean needed to be stopped boarding the boats the silence was deafening. I doubt if he will be attending another Sydney Writers Festival.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Great commentary on the intolerant monoculture of the trendy left!

The dead forest!
Posted by Pericles2, Monday, 25 May 2015 9:25:51 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes! We would use scarce resources far better addressing the causes, all of them, of this or that exodus!

And if that includes sending a cruise missile through the bedroom window of a mass murdering dictator, or a bunker busting bomb on top of his/her head, so be it!

That said and set aside. It'd likely be better use of scarce resources and wasted lives; helping these folk sort out their problems at home; all of them, rather than leave them with no other option other than risking their lives; chasing false hope/going from the frying pan into the fire?

I don't know how many annual billions we spend on offshore detention?

But for mine that money might be better spent providing clean water, (wells, solar thermal powered desalination plants) proper if very basic sanitation and real prospects where they come from?

Rather than allow thousands to continue to drown themselves and or their children, chasing false hope/forcing themselves on entirely incompatible and resentful hosts!?

We need to effectively deal with poverty wherever we find it, if only to create par excellence, trading partners friends and allies out of formerly economically depressed countries!

Who alive even just 50 years ago, would have dreamed they'd see today's China; or a thriving democracies, where there once stood basket case economies like Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan, Korea, or Japan!

Or its very opposite in places where lunatic dictators and their mad ideas prevail! Zimbabwe, North Korea and far too many points in between!

I rest my case.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 25 May 2015 12:49:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Rhosty

Australian Government Press Release 4 May 2015
The ongoing success of Operation Sovereign Borders (OSB) and its flow-on effects will deliver savings measures of more than $500 million in the 2015-16 Budget.

(Savings due to the closure of many detention centres)

I also made an error in my article. It was not Christine Kenneally but Karen Hitchcock who attacked the politicians for being beholden to oil and gas interests. My apologies.
Posted by EQ, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 3:23:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy