The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The flawed assumptions underpinning NAPLAN > Comments

The flawed assumptions underpinning NAPLAN : Comments

By John Töns, published 13/5/2015

If your state happens to be in the bottom percentile this does not mean that it is underperforming; it could simply be that everyone is doing really well, just like our Chinese students!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Ha, ha, ho, ho, he, he, gasp, hiccup, oh my aching ribs!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 13 May 2015 10:43:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is state teachers who get all angsty with NAPLAN, not kids. They thought they were getting a sinecure for life with no review for slack performance and now someone is looking over their shoulder calling out the child abuse that is poor education.
Posted by McCackie, Wednesday, 13 May 2015 11:03:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep, Mc. Crappy teachers and their unions, along with some parents who should keep their mouths shut and stop bleating about the stress caused to the kids. The parents are the cause of the stress to kids.

If everyone kept quiet and let the kids do the tests without all the hoo-hah, they would pass or fail; in the latter case, they would get extra help, which is the whole idea of the thing, surely?

It's almost 50 years since I left school, and I was rubbish at some subjects. Not one teacher suggested that I needed extra help. If naplan saves kids from the indignities I suffered, it's a very good thing. Hang the objectors.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 13 May 2015 12:31:06 PM
So obviously the whole reading-comprehension thing is missing among commentors. The article was explaining that NAPLAN is comparison test, not an assessment test. There is no pass or fail, just an idea of how each child is doing in comparison to other kids in their school, state and nationally.
Posted by Carz, Wednesday, 13 May 2015 4:09:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy