The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Uncomfortable truths > Comments

Uncomfortable truths : Comments

By Dilan Thampapillai, published 29/4/2015

In his tweets McIntyre suggested that the sanitised version of the Anzacs that is remembered today bears little resemblance to the realities of WWI. In that sense, what McIntyre wrote is not completely inaccurate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
BJelly

TV Journalists are not private citizens, and twitter is not a private medium of communication. All media organisations have social media policies and codes of conduct. He broke both, and deserved to take the consequences
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 30 April 2015 6:40:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bjelly: The irony, a journalist gets fired for telling the truth.

So you're with Killarney. Australian Soldiers are ALL Rapists & Pillages. Is that like All moslems are Terrorists or is that somehow different?

Killarney, "Battling with Words" It's a good read for Feminists. Apparently she wants the Armed forces have got to go Gay, Greenie & Politically Correct & be able to dance with fairies. If you're not up to that then you can't join. Another Academic screwball.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 30 April 2015 7:12:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Rhian, I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one. I have a problem with employers having the right to fire people for such trifling offense. It wasn't always this way, and it seems to be getting worse. There also seems to be a double standard - ie Bolt and Jones etc.

Hi Jayb, no I don't think all soldiers rape and pillage - I am grateful for the sacrifices soldiers and their families make. I wish my government would send them into harms way only when necessary for our defense, instead of pre-emptive wars of aggression. I wish my government would take better care of returned veterans - the way we treat broken men and women is a disgrace. We need to remember the ANZACs as mortals not mythic creatures of virtue - they were fallible, we are fallible. War is hell. Lest we forget.
Posted by BJelly, Thursday, 30 April 2015 8:24:40 PM
Rhian

Sorry. I should have clarified that I was making a 'springboard' reply to your comment (i.e. taking a small part of it to jump off onto another line of argument). I realised that your reference to homophobia and racism were just analogies, and not meant as direct moral equivalence.

I agree that McIntyre was unprofessional and (as with Charlie Hebdo) shouldn't be hailed as a martyr for free speech. However, had his lack of professionalism been offensive to Anzac's critics, there is no doubt that he would have kept his job - possibly even been promoted.
Posted by Killarney, Thursday, 30 April 2015 11:14:25 PM
Hi Killarney

You say “there is no doubt that he would have kept his job - possibly even been promoted” if his tweets had offended Anzac’s critics. I doubt that. SBS is hardly a bastion of right wing militarism. A quick trawl of the web suggest to me that most people who have been dismissed for politically insensitive social media comments have offended against political correctness, for example by opposing gay marriage or posting racist jokes.

But it rather depends what kind of offense you have in mind, I suppose
Posted by Rhian, Friday, 1 May 2015 11:23:00 AM
Plantagenet, Anzac is over, thank goodness
The two drug mules are now over with, thank goodness
Kate has popped a baby, the first ever, we are not over it yet
What can be number four be of such world shattering news
Posted by Ojnab, Sunday, 3 May 2015 4:37:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy