The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Uncomfortable truths > Comments

Uncomfortable truths : Comments

By Dilan Thampapillai, published 29/4/2015

In his tweets McIntyre suggested that the sanitised version of the Anzacs that is remembered today bears little resemblance to the realities of WWI. In that sense, what McIntyre wrote is not completely inaccurate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Killarney: Every year, this proud 'other Anzac' history remains hidden and forgotten, except in the research notes of a trickle of academic writers, rarely ever climbing out of the footnotes of our official, mawkishly sentimental WWI narrative - of blokey courage, mateship, Anzac biscuits and 'becoming a nation'.

The entire article is emotional claptrap craftily constructed to appeal to people like Killarney. It's purpose is to give the impression that all soldiers are eager go to war with rampant erections, Raping & Pillaging every female from babies to the aged & infirmed. The entire article is insidious in it's intent to portray Soldiers as brutish morons.

I have no doubt there were instances of Rape & Pillage but they would have been totally unusual.

As for the Japanese prisoners in WW11. An old uncle of mine told me that they had captured a group of Japanese & they were taken to an internment camp. A number of the Japanese indicated that they wished to die, as being taken prisoner was a disgrace. These prisoners were given a live grenade. They walked up the beach a little & killed themselves. Apparently this was common.

Killarney: blokey courage, mateship, Anzac biscuits and 'becoming a nation'.

Very sneaky. Yes, I've read Dr. Elizabeth A. Thomson, "Battling with Words" too. & it's a load of feminist Academic hot cock.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 30 April 2015 11:07:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While many will see MacIntire's comments as inappropriate, his sacking shows that just as in many other countries who we critisize for media manipulation and media control, Australia is no different. There is increasing control over the media by politicians. Those who own the media also limit what is said. Thus we really do not have free speech, just the illusion that we do.
Posted by hospas, Thursday, 30 April 2015 11:59:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
hospas,

There are thousands of media outlets and websites criticising the government, Anzac commemorations and lots of other things some in our society hold dear. Which is great news for free speech.

McIntrye’s sacking was SBS’s decision, not the Government’s. What he tweeted was not appropriate for someone in his position. I’d expect the same reaction if he had made racist or homophobic remarks.
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 30 April 2015 1:50:16 PM
Rhian

'I’d expect the same reaction if he had made racist or homophobic remarks.'

According to that logic, criticism of war is equivalent to homophobia and racism.

And conversely, acceptance/advocacy of war is equivalent to sexual and racial tolerance.

In other words, we have evolved into such a war-worshipping culture that any rejection or criticism of our war-worshipping culture is deemed socially undesirable, even pathological.

jayb

Well, I'm glad to hear you've read Elizabeth A. Thompson's 'Battling with Words', because I haven't. I've never even heard of it.
Posted by Killarney, Thursday, 30 April 2015 3:44:24 PM
Killarney

I am not arguing moral equivalence or saying that criticism of war is equivalent to racism or homophobia. I’m saying SBS would make a similar response in such circumstances for similar reasons. It is about upholding professional standards and not tolerating egregiously insulting behaviour.

I don’t think McIntyre was sacked for criticising war or the Anzacs. There is a difference between criticism and sneering abuse. Describing people who commemorate Anzac day as “poorly-read, largely white nationalist drinkers” falls into the latter category. It reflects poorly on the organisation and on the judgement of McIntire as a journalist. His dismissal was a matter of professional standards, not free speech.

There is plenty of scope for a reasoned criticism/critique of the Anzac story and the way it is commemorated. You have contributed that perspective many times in this and other OLO forums. You debate robustly, but I don’t recall you ever stooping to gratuitous insults.

To repeat, this is not about McIntyre’s right to say what he thinks, including controversial comments. It’s about his doing this using calculatedly insulting language using public media while clearly identifiable as an SBS journalist. Organisations have the right to expect their senior and public employees do not harm their reputations. High-quality media outlets are particularly concerned with how their journalists are perceived
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 30 April 2015 5:00:52 PM
The irony, a journalist gets fired for telling the truth. At a time when we are overwhelmed by media spin and even downright lies.

To make it even worse - He got fired after a senior government minister complained to his boss - that is just weird.

As Orwell said "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

What did Scott McIntyre say that was untrue?
Can anyone tell me?
His timing could have been better. Maybe his choice of wording could have been better. But did his words do any actual harm? Did they incite hatred or violence?

How limited is our speech when we have to consider that we may get the sack if we say something that is basically true but unpopular? Some people defend what has happened by saying he has not been jailed, he is still free to say what he likes. But losing his job is a substantial financial penalty. This will have a chilling effect on the free speech.

Scott McIntyre made tweets as a private citizen, not as an SBS employee.We have many cases of journalists who have said outrageous things as part of their job and they have not been sacked. For example, Andrew Bolt was found guilty of racial discrimination in one of his columns and he was not sacked. Alan Jones jokingly (if you can call it that)on air suggested Julia Gillard be put in a chaff bag and thrown in the sea - he still has his job.
Posted by BJelly, Thursday, 30 April 2015 5:50:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy