The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Anzac exclusions: making a nation ignorant of rape > Comments

Anzac exclusions: making a nation ignorant of rape : Comments

By Rob Cover, published 29/4/2015

Anzac Day is broadly acknowledged as a day which has been marked as somehow sacred, protected against supposed indignities and exclusive of ideas which might challenge the 'purity' of the nation and of masculine militarism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
It is historical fact that 99% of those that handed out 'white feathers' during both World Wars were women.
Women also were very active in WW I in the pro-conscription movement.

In WW II an officer of my later acquaintance was home on leave from his unit, which was one of the Special Units.
He was told to wear civilian clothes when in Sydney and he had a collection of white feathers that he received before he went back to his clandestine unit, he said that they were all presented with "encouraging" remarks by women.
This bloke, whom I knew when he was our Adjutant for a time in the 1950s had spent much of the war behind enemy lines in Europe and in the Pacific.
I well remember writing up his service record when new AAB 83s were being issued and right through the war his units were simply "X Special"

Historically there have been women warriors and accounts label them as being somewhat brutal.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 29 April 2015 2:08:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Despite the blathering of these anti-Anzac, anti-anything Australian malcontents, the Anzac crowds are steadily increasing.

Most Austalians have never heard of these whingers and whiners.

They will be back next year, along with anti- Christmas misanthropes, and every year after that until enough people bored with their misery and hatred and refuse to respond to them.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 29 April 2015 2:13:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tell me Rob are women capable of rape?
Do you not think that it's a simple outcome of culture that more women are not rapist. That our culture represses women and if they were truly free then they would be just as violent as us evil hetro men are?
Posted by Cobber the hound, Wednesday, 29 April 2015 5:06:48 PM
Scott Mcintyre's comments were so stupid that that he deserved to be sacked. You can't look at Hiroshima in isolation. Of course it was an appalling loss of life but surely this is the nature of war.

People were terrified of the Japanese. They refused to surrender despite being in a hopeless situation. They had lost control of the sea around Japan and the country was slowly being destroyed by conventional bombing. When Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed, the people running Japan realised that they too were vulnerable and that is why they surrendered.
Posted by Wattle, Wednesday, 29 April 2015 7:06:09 PM
True, Wattle, but had the first bomb been dropped on an area of open country I think that the Japanese would have got the message.
There was no need to bomb Nagasaki at all, but as the bombs were still largely experimental it was necessary to confirm the experiment before the Japs surrendered.

The Atomic Bombs did however save many lives overall both Allied and Japanese.
To have fought a land war on Japan would have cost thousands of lives, I had the opportunity in the 1950s of inspecting a small sampling of the Japanese defensive complexes and they were formidable.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 29 April 2015 9:45:23 PM
Cobber

'Do you not think that it's a simple outcome of culture that more women are not rapist. That our culture represses women and if they were truly free then they would be just as violent as us evil hetro men are?'

It goes both ways. If women were 'truly free', men wouldn't have to keep on using gender-political weapons like rape to keep them under control (through terror).

Without the need to use various forms of violence to maintain their power over women, men would be free to desist from cultural dictates that link violence with masculinity and male 'honour'.
Posted by Killarney, Wednesday, 29 April 2015 11:17:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy