The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Teaching is a profession, not a calling > Comments

Teaching is a profession, not a calling : Comments

By Jemma Ward, published 14/4/2015

On the surface, this is a fine epithet to attach to any profession – you do what you do because you want to do it.Yet other professions do not expect similar levels of extracurricular zeal and sappy self-sacrifice.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Yusterdee i cuddant evan spell univarsittee stewdent, now i ar wun; an gwaduwated as a teecher; an ona hundrud thowsend a yeer! Dats not as mush asa milyun iz zit?

I'm sorry if I unintentionally offend anyone, but if that particular (slightly overdone) cap doesn't fit, just don't wear it!

The point I'm laboring to make is!

What you don't know haven't or can't learn, you can't teach; and still couldn't even on a "PROFESSIONAL" salary of $100,000.00 a year!

I'd start you on $30,000.00 a year and ask you to earn your increases on results!

And the only way to test those results is to test the students!

And if you work hard couching them to pass exams on general literacy and numeracy, you will in fact be teaching them what they need to learn in order to be successful in their chosen careers!

Teaching is about outcomes for children, rather than overly generous pay packets!

Simply put, the Peter principle is very much alive and well in our classrooms; and means good academic qualifications just don't necessarily equate or translate into good teaching skills; or an ability to settle a rowdy classroom full of disruptive boys!

i.e., Hands up all those who want to play footy or cricket during recess?

Oh no not you young Mr Jones alias Hannibal Lecter/Jack the gripper/Conan the destroyer, not until you've completed a correctly spelled thousand word essay; and in your own time, why Sir must be obeyed; and why silence is golden during the lesson periods!

Alternatively, and in your own hand written words, explain the logs on page 45 of advanced maths.

And what you don't understand, jot down all the relevant questions, trot up to the teachers lunch room, before the end of the break, and we'll endevour to answer all of your inquires. Okay?

Which one do you prefer?

Hmm? Well?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 14 April 2015 12:27:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Apologies and correction, Teachers lunch room should read, Teachers' lunch room.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 14 April 2015 12:32:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
According to my Sainted Mother Aidan, anything you like that's lawful, including attempted conception (or a wee doch an doris/bit of a fiddle replete with the usual grace notes) while standing on ya head in a hammock, except nonessential work!
[Och aye th' noo, if tha' was a most difficult way, my Da' would find it?]
And then only out respect for he who pays the piper!

Arguably he who pays the piper calls the tune! De ye no ken marrrrn?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 14 April 2015 12:54:31 PM
All you have to know about teaching in this country is that McDonalds have to provide free maths teaching to all their recruits because, after at least 10 years of government's "education system" and its compulsory funding, compulsory attendance, compulsory curriculum, and compulsory teacher qualifications, the young products of this system cannot be trusted to know how to add up and subtract. And McDonalds can teach them quicker, better and cheaper, when its core business is not even teaching, but providing hamburgers for gossake. And then they put the maths teaching program online so everyone can access it for free.

A pity the Trade Practice Act doesn't apply to teaching: perhaps the teachers should be giving us our money back?
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Tuesday, 14 April 2015 1:15:04 PM
Would you believe anyone who claims that their calling is to serve the devil?

Has anyone ever had the calling to help government in its indoctrination?

There are teachers with the calling to educate children, to bring the best out of them rather than to turn them into cogs of the state's "work force", but in Australia they must remain underground.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 14 April 2015 3:21:36 PM
>"Teaching is a profession, not a calling"

No. Teaching is not a profession. Teachers, (trained by the Marxists in the education departments of the universities and encouraged by the far left teacher's unions, are using taxpayer funding to embed Marxist dogma in the gullible young.

Peter....Teaching is with-in, you are educated well enough to use words that make differences that will induce values.

Tally
Posted by Tally, Tuesday, 14 April 2015 7:22:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy