The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Breaking the chain of life in Bali > Comments

Breaking the chain of life in Bali : Comments

By Suresh Wijeyeratne, published 5/2/2015

Why am I affected by the impending death sentences for the Bali nine members Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I'm not going to take any joy out of their deaths but I do take the view that they had a choice unlike so many others.

If concern for unnecessary loss of life is really the driving issue there are far more concerning issues than two drug smugglers who went to a country with a known death penalty for their actions.

Estimates vary widely but a couple of issues where relatively small donations from concerned westerners can save more than two lives

"When burned in traditional cooking stoves, the toxic emissions result in 1.6 million premature deaths each year, according to World Health Organization estimates. Children younger than five account for half of the fatalities." http://www.worldwatch.org/node/6328

"WHO 1996. “Every year more than five million human beings die from illnesses linked to unsafe drinking water, unclean domestic environments and improper excreta disposal.”" http://www.pacinst.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/water_related_deaths_report3.pdf

On a local note the suicide rates in Australia are not trivial and I'm left with the impression that for a notable proportion of those suicides there are tipping points which are controllable. As an example people being pushed to bankruptcy by a tax system that takes no account of a persons actual financial situation.

The thought of people being taken out and machine gunned to death is ugly. The thought of the pain for their families through this process is ugly however I'm left with the impression that much of the hand wringing over the likely fate of these two has far more to do with ideology than genuine concern for premature loss of life.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 5 February 2015 9:45:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The killers of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balibo_Five
will probably perform the murder of these 2 Australian citizens.

5 x 30 rounds of 5.56mm ammo from US M16s.

The boys love a righteous execution.

How bout burnings next?
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 5 February 2015 10:04:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Plantagenet,

"The killers of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balibo_Five
will probably perform the murder of these 2 Australian citizens".

Hardly, they'd probably be retired after 40 years; besides which a lawful execution is a judicial killing and is not murder.

If you want an emotive word or two, try 'justified' and 'fair'
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 5 February 2015 10:27:36 AM
I'm certain these guys knew all the risks inherent with running dope through a foreign country, which still has a death penalty for running drugs.

I was raised to consider the consequences of any action before taking that action, i.e., squandering the rent money on an outside chance?

And having considered all the possible consequences, if prepared to wear them, then go ahead.
Always providing I didn't expect anyone else or the fairy godmother to come and bail me out.

These guys it seems, were criminal masterminds?

And if they'd had any intelligence, would have sort honest work.

And given they applied themselves, would have could have been rich today, and all legal and above board.

However they were caught out, and must now pay the piper.

I have plenty of sympathy for the grieving relatives and friends, but none for these pretenders. The pastor and the painter!?

Who would no doubt be back at it again if somehow reprieved this time?

Do the crime do the time, or wear the consequences!

Who knows how many lives these young crims have already snuffed out, with their peddled poisons?

And who do as every drug dealer in the country does, get school kids hooked, to create their future clientele.

All of who pay with their dignity, their freedom or their very lives!

Sorry, but the sooner this sad saga is over, the better!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 5 February 2015 11:15:08 AM
This has got to be a spoof, no sane adult human being could produce such waffle in a serious piece.

Yes much of the inner city of our larger cities are populated by kooks, but if this is not a spoof, we need a whole bunch of hospitals, with high walls around them to protect us from infection, & them from themselves.

An engineer? I know our fairy floss disciplines keep trying to make themselves sound rational & scientific. Could the Psychiatric departments have come up with a new subject HUMAN ENGINEERING, to try to give themselves some credibility? This piece would suggest they may have.

As for the subjects, would Indonesia please get it over with. It is painful watching theoretically adult TV commentators & presenters cry about a couple of dropkicks. My channel changing finger is starting to suffer repetitive strain injury from getting rid of them.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 5 February 2015 12:03:16 PM
'Our instincts evolutionarily exist to prolong our lives'

Sorry Suresh if you believed this you would be campaigning against those murdering the unborn. We have no evolutionarily instincts. You have been conned to believe that garbage.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 5 February 2015 12:17:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy