The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is society becoming more extreme? > Comments

Is society becoming more extreme? : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 22/1/2015

Too much polarisation results in a shrinking middle ground and the growth of alienation, bitterness and recrimination.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Do you really need the whole bowl Hasbeen? surely an intrepid yachtsman of your calibre is better able to work out what he really needs than a flock of gaudy lorikeets?
Posted by Craig Minns, Thursday, 22 January 2015 8:36:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
runner, with last year the hottest on record globally, isn't it the denialists who have egg on their faces?
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 22 January 2015 8:56:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Haven't you read Aidan, that the bureau have now admitted they are only 35% sure it was the hottest on record.

This when they have reduced the recorded temperature records for the 30s to achieve their headline.

To say they are disgusting is putting it very mildly.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 22 January 2015 10:01:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Craig Minns is denigrating and negatively stereotyping lorikeets based upon the colour of their feathers which he claims are "gaudy". That makes him an avist.

The lorries do the same here in Sydney, Hasbeen. I like to feed my friendly cockatoos who shake my screen door every time they get hungry. (they are always hungry after periods of heavy rain) They like having their feathers stroked once they get used to you, and I like to stroke their backs and their crests. But as soon as I start giving them sunflower seeds and macadamia nuts (they LOVE macadamia nuts), in zoom the lorries who carry out ethnic cleansing. It is funny watching the little lorries seeing off great big cockatoos, but every now and then the cockies regroup and I have an avian race riot on my front porch
Posted by LEGO, Friday, 23 January 2015 2:38:18 AM
You've got me all wrong, LEGO, it's not that I'm anti-lorikeet, I just can't imagine a crusty old salt like Hasbeen dressed in the plumage of a Rainbow warrior...

Speaking of warriors, for sheer avian courage it's hard to beat the sight of a tiny little mynah seeing off a couple of crows!

At the other end of the courage scale I rescued a lovely little forest kingfisher that got badly beaten up by a thuggish magpie on the roof of my gazebo a couple of weeks ago. I was watching from my office window and did my best scarecrow impression to startle the maggie off. I thought the poor little kingfisher was dead or soon would be since it lay without moving, a wing cocked in the air where the maggie's last toss had left it and climbed up expecting to collect a corpse but after it spent a few hours in a nice cool, dark box under the house it flew off like nothing had happened.

Result!
Posted by Craig Minns, Friday, 23 January 2015 7:31:17 AM
Craig,

That makes for a great 'feel good' moment; I once was adopted by a young magpie that wandered into our back yard.
Someone had cut one of its wings.
I decided to keep it till it could fly again.
Needless to say it became a pet and had a real character but it was always an independent bird.
Early on two adult magpies started to regularly visit and I assumed that they were the parents and when they'd fly away he/she would watch them till they were out of sight.
Eventually the feathers grew back and it flew away but used to come back every few days, for about a month, but then magpie things probably became more important.

For me success, tinged with a bit of sadness.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 23 January 2015 8:19:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy