The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Linguistic populism > Comments

Linguistic populism : Comments

By Ian Nance, published 8/1/2015

'O' is a letter of the alphabet, and 'zero', or 'nought', is the numerical expression. How often do we hear people confuse these two?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
An important contribution on a pressing social issue.

As an "O"ist myself, I maintain that calling 'nought' by the name of 'O' is a noble piece of cross-fertilisation and promotes understanding between the alpha and numeric communities.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Thursday, 8 January 2015 7:52:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How would the learned chap say too:
Posted by 579, Thursday, 8 January 2015 8:33:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Much ado about naught!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 8 January 2015 9:09:52 AM
It's a lot quicker to say O when reciting a long number ie mobile phone number. Apart from that, who cares?
Posted by Big Nana, Thursday, 8 January 2015 10:25:27 AM
The computer in my car accepts either "Oh" or "Zero", even though it has some difficulty with other numbers.

My big beef is with people who don't use punctuation marks or paragraphs.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 8 January 2015 11:12:56 AM
Perhaps the author could have chosen a better example than 'O' and zero.

Many people have a poor grounding in English. Because they are unlikely to read anything outside of newspapers (now tabloid) and magazines, their continuing adult education depends on what the electronic media provide.

Once the national broadcaster modelled correct English pronunciation, grammar and usage. Instead, the ABC now takes pride in other things, but mainly political correctness - which has other priorities.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 8 January 2015 11:47:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy