The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Coastal shipping > Comments

Coastal shipping : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 16/12/2014

There are now 2 million tonnes less freight being moved by foreign vessels and the number of major Australian registered ships with coastal licences fell from 30 in 2006/07 to just 13 in 2012/13.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Indeed, it is time for Tasmania to declare its independence and be free from those and other draconic laws - it has only everything to lose from its association with Australia and its government. Being an island, it's more natural for it to be the first for independence, then I hope that the other states will follow.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 16 December 2014 7:32:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An independent Tassie Yutushu?
Great idea, let them survive on what GST they can collect internally, rather than remain an economic albatross around the neck of the larger mainland states forever.

That said, I find David's argument both frivolous and vexatious, given bulk freight forwarding remains one of the most lucrative business models on the planet.

What we need is vast modernization, not cheaper labor manning death trap rust buckets!
Think, hugely automated ships need very few crew, maybe just half a dozen.
And their wages could be completely offset by taking a few job chasing fare paying passengers, looking to relocate home, hearth and motor vehicle (in a couple of shipping containers) to other states!
And a fair bet at a price neither road or rail options can't compete with, over the longer hauls!

What we a maritime nation really do need is our own national fleet, which should be nuclear powered; meaning in the foreseeable future as we get deeper and deeper into peak oil, those diesel powered ships (even the most modern ones) will just not be able to compete.
And given defense examples, nuclear powered vessels could deliver freight in half the time, giving them two very sharp edges to compete with!
Time and price!

You've never ever run a transport business have you David?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 16 December 2014 10:57:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh yes please Yuyutsu, that would get rid of half the ratbags in the senate, & a few in the parliament too. It would certainly make Oz more successful, & governable, without our chief money drain.

David this destruction of our coastal shipping trade is nothing new. It is simply another example of union demands, in areas where strikes are most expensive, costing workers the industry jobs they want.

Over 40 years ago, 1972 or 3 I think, a mate reckoned he had it made. A sparky in the coastal shipping trade, he worked 3 months, very well paid then, then went off cruising in his yacht with his wife for his 6 weeks off.

The perfect life he reckoned. Then one day he was very glum. He'd lost his job he said, at least in the long term. The union had won new conditions, 6 months on, 6 months off.

He could see that no company could make shipping pay with such labour costs. He could see no ships being replaced as they retired, & the loss of his job along with the industry. How right he was.

They tried all sorts of tactics, black banning foreign ships that carried Ozzie cargo between local ports, or had foreign crew. Wharfie banns, they tried every thing. Well everything but a fair days work for a fair days pay.

It led to huge fortunes being made in the trucking industry, but it cost Oz & a lot of other people a lot of money, & ultimately my mate his great job.

Continued.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 16 December 2014 11:48:46 AM
Continued

I don't think it is the average unionist, I don't think they can see what they are doing to harm themselves, just the militant ratbags, & the union bosses.

The union bosses must be able to see the result this action had in the UK, ultimately destroying their industry, & their members jobs, after all, many UK union activists came here to continue their destruction, after the UK jobs collapsed. It was only North Sea oil that saved the UK, as iron ore & coal saved Oz.

I can only assume the bosses don't care, as long as this stupidity gets them re-elected to their cushy jobs, & a step up in the Labor party.

It has cost us coastal shipping, the abattoirs, white goods manufacturing, with the car industry & ship building following quickly now.

It is even in the process of killing our last hope, the mining industry.

Do keep on shouting David, but don't expect to be heard by these dills, with their fingers in their ears.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 16 December 2014 11:49:03 AM
This surprises me. It seems to be a bad law, so how did it get through the Senate and why wasn't it given much more publicity?

Unless there's a VERY good reason that hasn't been mentioned yet, the act should be repealed. The Rudd government's regulations were sufficient IMO.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 16 December 2014 12:41:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Aidan,

<<This surprises me. It seems to be a bad law, so how did it get through the Senate and why wasn't it given much more publicity?>>

Good morning. 99% of the laws are like that - it's the rule, not the exception!

That's why, if Tasmania becomes independent they could repeal so many Australian laws that harass ordinary Australians, thus attracting many Australians to migrate there. Thus Tasmania will prosper and the rest of Australia be impoverished. In turn, Australia (or separate states thereof) will see that good and able people are leaving for Tasmania and will also scramble to repeal laws, thus a healthy competition over individual freedoms will create a better place to live.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 16 December 2014 1:01:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy