The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Death of a sportsman: gladiatorial guilt > Comments

Death of a sportsman: gladiatorial guilt : Comments

By David Rowe, published 2/12/2014

Even the Google landing page, the online world's most militantly uncluttered site, displayed his commemorative image of a bat leaning against a wall, casting its melancholy shadow.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
We need to revisit the old ethic which said, "It matters not whether you win or lose, it is how you play the game that counts."

Unfortunately, in life, as well in sport, there is now too much of "It matters not how you play the game, but whether you win or lose that counts." This is palpably evident in the daily doings of the politicians who should be setting us a better example.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 8:56:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That this was a personal tragedy for the family of the deceased is beyond question. That the national team is in collective mourning is also understandable.
But this death was not a stand alone incident. A field hockey death of a 24 year old woman two years ago in WA, a 14-year-old ice hockey player's death in Minnesota two weeks ago, a cricket umpire's death in Israel two days ago - the list is not short. Add life-changing injuries including paralysis from contact sports each year and the conclusion is soon reached that sport is not just fun and games.
And this is as it should be. What is not as it should be is the braying of fans for blood, and the resulting bad behaviour on the various games' pitches of contestants playing to the gallery.
Accidents happen, but we need to see a bit more respect from all parties and an acknowledgement that all sport carries risks.
Rest in peace Phillip Hughes, and let the games go on.
Posted by halduell, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 9:09:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And ten years ago it was David Hookes
Whose death outside a Pub
Put him on the way to Sainthood
Sudden "Hooksey" to a Nation
Until his life caught Up *

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hookes#Personal_life
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 10:56:28 AM
Am I too hard hearted, or just sensible? It is unfortunate for the bloke & his family, but what is so special about this? Is it that cricket is supposed to be a gentleman's game, where people don't get hurt?

As another post says, many are hurt, or killed at their sport. There is not much fuss when a skydiver is killed.

I have been racing at 4 motor race meetings where drivers were killed. In 2 instances I only discovered the next day that someone had been seriously hurt, let alone killed. There was no fuss made about them.

After a couple of deadly, & a couple of near deadly crashes the racing went on. At 2 Bathurst meetings they were worried that to stop the meeting would lead to a traffic jam, & difficulty with ambulances getting to the hospital.

I have had 3 mates killed racing. I even won the memorial trophy for one of them, but we didn't make all this much noise about it.

As I gave up watching cricket when Shane Warne appeared, [can't stand him], I have never heard of this bloke, & find the whole production a bit over the top. Perhaps these people consider themselves much more important than they are.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 11:10:16 AM
There were two deaths at the Royal Adelaide building site on the same week barely got a mention.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 12:22:18 PM
Hasbeen & Cobber definately correct in your postings, it is the media that keeps on and on with reports daily on Phillip Hughes death, he is not the first person to die young and will not be the last, I had never heard of him, not being a cricket fan, flowers left at sites by people who do not know him or never met him is beyond my comprehension, flowers to the living not the dead
Media seem to latch onto these tragedies or any other celebrity tragedy but do they realise we are bored out of our brains with daily reports, get on with life.
I hate to think of the media coverage of the old Queen when she dies, it will be time then to not buy any newspapers or watch television for at least six months,.
Move on media and television, a lot of people are not mourning the loss of Phillip Hughes, he is dead, so be it, he is the same as any other citizen in the world who gets no reporting for weeks on end, they are just as important to me as Phillip Hughes
Posted by Ojnab, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 1:11:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy