The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hypocritical debate over ASC's capacity to even 'build a canoe' > Comments

Hypocritical debate over ASC's capacity to even 'build a canoe' : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 1/12/2014

I know enough people in the services and in the Defence bureaucracy to be certain that ASC is definitely not held in high regard and that, if our Navy seeks value for money, it should buy its submarines overseas.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Hi MHalblaub

Noting this is your first ever OLO post - welcome to OLO :)

My spies tell me you are an authentic expert on submarines - particularly propulsion systems.

Costings for Australia future submarines (SEA 1000) is more an art than a science because:

- few or no-one knows for sure how many subs the Australian Government wants (my money is on 6 with an option for 2 more just like the Collins)

- few or no-one knows exactly what characteristics (eg. range, Lithium-ion batteries and VLS?) the Australian Government wants (or needs) for the submarines

- the exchange rates for Australian dollars to German or Japanese currency shifts greatly over a 20 year payment plan (from choosing, designing and final launching)

- difficult to extrapolate today's dollars to 2035 dollars

- difficult to differentiate between foreign content in labour and parts to Australian content labour and parts

- difficult to differentiate between "upfront purchase price, "training costs" "spares", "breakdown" "sustainment" etc

- difficult to quantify the POLITICAL, TECHNICAL AND FINANCIAL RISKS OF NO JAPANESE SALES RECORD for Japan's first major defence customer.

Will our current Prime Minister's good feelings about the current Japanese Prime Minister Abe be seen as a compelling reason in 20 years' time?

Regards

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 12:37:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy