The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Human rights going down the pan? > Comments

Human rights going down the pan? : Comments

By Judy Cannon, published 20/11/2014

Refugee advocates have spoken of their alarm at the new legislative reforms currently proposed under a migration amendment bill, calling them 'diabolical' and 'destructive'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
It has come to my attention that if the religious folk of Australia are serious, and perhaps the publication by the Council of Churches regarding the treatment of children in detention in particular indicates some degree of Spirit, that one strong thing that they could do would be to make it a "religious duty" not to vote at this stage.

(and of course some religious groups already do this)

They could of course be very vocal about their reasons for this.

In so doing they would provide a solid legal defence for individuals refusing to legitimise relevant politicians with their vote, and I believe that would indeed have some resonance within the Australian community for the better.

Of course, conceivably, if the situation were to be rectified, then they could of course absolve their flocks of this duty in the future.

You must understand that once the state thinks little of treating people in the manner in which it does then it really ought come as no surprise that you have a government presently that wants to make some highly repugnant new laws like no $ for 6 months for some whilst currently paying themselves obscene amounts, which in my view is entirely undeserved in the real world light of "a fair days pay for a fair days work."

If you let mainstream politicians get a taste that it is acceptable to abuse people, then don't be surprised when their abusive practices have any of you in its sites.

If a teacher in a school treated a child under their care in the manner that the commonwealth treats asylum seeker children then it would no doubt be considered criminal in my opinion.

Wake up to yourselves Australia.
Posted by DreamOn, Friday, 21 November 2014 3:55:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Grow up dreamer.

If you were genuinely in fear for your life, & someone gave you a safe free haven, where your every need was catered for, in spades, in a beautiful tropical location, you would be jumping for joy. All your prayers & hopes would have been answered.

If you then complained & wanted to move to another destination it would be totally proven your reason for traveling was not safety as claimed, but something entirely different.

That is you were lying, & as a liar & thus confidence trickster, should be excluded from ever entering Australia.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 21 November 2014 8:05:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suze, your obfuscating IMO.
Those "poor Afghan Women" don't come all the way in boats, they generally travel by air across several other countries, mostly Muslim, then hop into boats for the final leg here, which is commonly a journey of only hours. Surely even you cannot claim that refugee status is a supermarket where they can pick and choose where they wish to insist on living, and that their thus chosen nation MUST accept their economic choice?
To my mind if they're escaping such horrors that they're forced to flee for their lives then once they've crossed an International border into a nation where their particular threat can't reach them then they are SAFE, for all intents and purposes, and after that if they wish to move on to another place they are no longer entitled to refugee status, they are by definition immigration applicants and should apply and fulfill any preconditions accordingly.
If not, why not, what makes them special?
My comments about the boats was mainly focused on Tamils, as I clearly stated, and much the same as above applies there too.
Posted by G'dayBruce, Friday, 21 November 2014 8:12:31 PM
Gotta love the Kiwi refugee tactic, they are much more "Humanitarian" than Oz, easier entry, faster citizenship, but when you look at their intake across the last decade or so and their actual immigrant population there's a huge discrepancy, unless they're secretly executing masses of them, lol.
Most of their refugees etc get citizenship and promptly move over here!
AS "kiwis" they don't show up in our refugee stats at all, and barely make a ripple in demographic data.
Posted by G'dayBruce, Friday, 21 November 2014 8:35:23 PM
I am not sorry to say that your simplistic circular reasoning does not cut the mustard *HasBeen*

The reality, is the collective treatment of these children by the RockSpiders goes do summon a Dementor, for want of a better way to explain it, and the evidence is that more and more children have now taken to banging there heads against the wall, a common symptom as was explained by one expert witness (the chief psychiatrist) at the not so long ago inquiry.

Worse still, the same expert witness claimed (and in my words) that the largely filthy white child abusing trash in the immigration department actually requested that this information be removed from the report.

If the guvment spent as much time on the economy as it does on trying to hide things, then we would surely have growth in excess of that presently experienced.

It would be nice if this fantasy utopia that you imagine were real, but unfortunately it is nothing other than significantly disconnected from reality.
Posted by DreamOn, Saturday, 22 November 2014 5:52:21 PM
Of course, there is another important dimension to this, and a site for some of the worst politics of division and I recall comments made by an acquaintance whom I affectionately refer to as "Guvna Pom."

"No, No," he said. "It was not just the english, but the aristocracies as a whole tended to treat their own people very, very, poorly, all the way around."

I would add to this an overlapping memory of the then Senator Vanstone who responded to questions regarding the mental health treatment of detainess by saying something to the effect of:

"Well they don't get any more or any less treatment than any other detainee."

Now look, whether it be "Deaths in Custody" or anything else of quality in a vast base of well considered reports, inquiries etc, the guvment well knows the effect of this type of treatment on people, let alone children, which does in turn go to " ... the knowing infliction of mental harm ..."

thus it begs the question, what exactly are they trying to achieve in relation to these detainees?

If they know as they have known for a long time now that their treatment of these people goes to engender adverse medical outcomes, does it not follow that the belligerent continuation of same goes to the guvment's want to destroy these people in whole or in part?

Do not think lightly of incarceration and mental health and there is more to the Genocide Convention Act than wholesale slaughter alone.

And of course, why would you want to go anywhere near any of that?
Posted by DreamOn, Saturday, 22 November 2014 6:36:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy