The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'Team Australia' dumps free speech promise > Comments

'Team Australia' dumps free speech promise : Comments

By Laurence Maher, published 17/11/2014

The Attorney's Senate answer was not 'ill-informed', but his use of the 'b'-word involved a mismatch of oratorical technique and political nous.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Free speech must as always, include the right to offend; as opposed to being quite deliberately offensive! The real bigots!
Throughout the entire course of human history, all progress has been accompanied by disagreement and healthy robust debate; without which, we'd still likely be living in caves, and running our food down with a stone tied to a stick!
Rhrosty
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 17 November 2014 12:50:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think people should be entitled to voice their opinions of dissent on issues that matter to them, but should do so in a mature respectful manner - constructive criticism for the purposes of discussion without (as Rhrosty mentioned) a deliberate intention to offend.

There was a time when I was young where I actually believed discrimination was a good thing, my justification for this line of thinking was that at least people can put their cards on the table and say what they really think in order to work towards solutions.
I thought that was a better way of moving forward rather than lowering your head and looking at the ground when you walked past someone who's skin, culture or sexuality was different to what was considered normal, and ignoring the issues which sometimes divide people against each other.
As Ive gotten older though I understand and appreciate the idea that it would be a sad and boring world if everybody was the same, and I've become more tolerant, respectful and appreciative of the things which make all of us individuals or different to one another.

Theres another point relating to this article I wanted to mention.
I think that its wrong for elected politicians to go back on their word on election promises.
No lobby groups should have the power to force a change of policy on election promises.
Politicians by law should keep the election promises they were voted in on.
If they wish to go against a policy they were voted in on they should get consent of the people through a public referendum stating their case, or otherwise wait for a new election to put forward new ideas, so that people can in fact decide to vote for someone else if they choose too on election day.
Lobby groups in my opinion work against democracy, because they take away from the views of the general public whilst giving more power to minority groups.
This in my opinion equates to legal electoral fraud.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 17 November 2014 5:10:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's not just lobby groups who undermine democracy, but highly manipulated preferential voting as well, accompanied by dirty deals done in the dead of night, which could and or has, allowed someone rejected by 85% of the electorate,to represent it.
We as never before in our history, need a bill of rights and long overdue proportional representation!
One of those rights and central to the defense of real democracy, would be a citizens initiated referendum.
One could argue about the number of votes/signatures needed to initiate a referendum, (50-100,000) even where opposed by extremely powerful politicians; and where that were the case; instead, allow a double dissolution, as possibly the only or best way, for the voice of the people, you know, those mugs out there in mugsville, who pay the salaries and every perk pollies now get; to be finally heard!
Think, the Westminster tradition once included completely unrewarded pollies, who just gave their time and capable minds for love of country; their fellow men, and a notion of proper service. As defined by heroes like Horatio Hornblower!
And a time where impassioned speeches, spoken directly from the heart, were par for the course; rather than the inevitable prepared speech; or litany of broken (non core) promises!
Hell, these script readers, even when being offensive, are not even mouthing their own words!
Then perhaps wonder, why the name pollie (pollie want a cracker, say hello; pretty bird) seems the most apt and descriptive noun for the fakers and or men of straw, with little if any courage of conviction; or imagination!?
Let alone original ideas, vision and charisma, that is good enough to persuade a whole undivided nation; (team Australia) and just what we really need at this moment in our history!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 18 November 2014 9:47:28 AM
Great article showing just how hard it is to maintain any semblance of free speech in Australian society. I am extremely disappointed that the Government cannot see a path to repeal of section 18C. I would also like to see the AHRC relegated to the small round filing bin. The AHRC has done more to deny Australians human rights than it has or ever will do to protect our human rights, including the right to free speech.
Posted by Pliny of Perth, Tuesday, 18 November 2014 6:44:02 PM
"Free" speech has a price attached, and that price is usually paid by society as a whole. It is the price for true democracy, and one that any democratic society should be willing to pay.
Australia may have already passed the year 1984 but we are rapidly approaching the scenario of the BOOK "1984".
Posted by G'dayBruce, Wednesday, 19 November 2014 8:40:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy