The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > He’ll always be a winner > Comments

He’ll always be a winner : Comments

By Richard Laidlaw, published 12/11/2014

Wayne Goss 1951-2014 Queensland Premier 1989-1996

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Hear hear and well said sir; and thinking voter!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 12 November 2014 10:46:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How interesting.

I remember a different Wane Goss. Goss may have been a winner, but most Queenslanders living any distance from Brisbane most definitely were not.

He was the man, [or his dreadful chief of staff Rudd], who in the name of "efficiency", but more likely as a pay back to national party voters, removed the passenger cars from most country trains. This left all those country towns, like Biggenden, 800 people 100 kilometres west from Maryborough, who had no air or bus service, as marooned as the average 17th centaury surf, if they did not have a car.

Meanwhile he was spending money hand over fist on Brisbane public transport.

I remember him as the man who paid back the teachers union, by giving a 20% unfunded rise to school teachers.

As treasurer of a small 86 pupil school P&C, I remember having to find over $20,000 the next year to replace the funds pinched from general funds those pay rises. Yep I remember the headmaster coming cap in hand to the P&C wanting money for pencils, paper, & even for toner for the bloody photocopier for gods sake.

Yes I remember Wane Goss, & I sure as hell hope we never see his like again.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 12 November 2014 12:37:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep, the rail lines should have never ever been ripped up Has.
Now let me see, just who did that?
Surely not the Nats and sir Joh? And what harm did it do, if the trains pulled an extra carriage or two? A very small beer in relation to an overall rail budget!
Your point about a collecting and collating, centralist Labor being city centric and massive money wasters, is well made!
I'd be very reluctant to put a former union heavy in charge of a chook raffle, let alone a billion dollar budget!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 12 November 2014 3:12:18 PM
Actually Goss did the right thing in stopping the Wolffdene damn, even if he only did it for political reasons. It would have been a useless shallow mud pond actually.

Then he got kicked out for trying to do the right thing. He wanted to duplicate the Gold Coast highway, rather than widen what was there. It would have serviced another large area, & given a back up for the existing road.

All the kafuffle about koalas was merely politicking, it was those in 3 leafy green areas that were against it, & it ultimately cost him the election. Doesn't say much for the country when premiers loose by trying to do the right thing.

And that lead to that dreadful man Beattie. Beattie talked a lot of sense in his younger days, but turned into a do nothing vote buyer, when he had a chance of winning a premiership.

Thinking of Beattie, perhaps I was too hard on Goss, he did at least try to do some things that were needed.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 12 November 2014 5:22:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy