The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Islamic State and the language of terror > Comments

Islamic State and the language of terror : Comments

By Richard Jackson, published 29/10/2014

In reality, there has not been a single death caused by a terrorist attack on Australian soil in the past three decades at least.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I absolutely disagree with everything you say, but would lay down my life in order for you to say it! Quote unquote. [A well known early american Senator, whose name escapes me for the present.]
The article is, I believe, disingenuous in the extreme!
The fact that we are an Island state, and how very effective and patriotic police forces, who take this threat seriously' have been, even if looking a bit "keystone" at times; probably explains the lack of a successful terror attack!
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty!
As for rights?
I suspect we may have vastly more than Muslims unfortunate enough to be condemned to be living/"life" in Archie ("Democratic Indonesia")!
We ought not let down our guard for a minute, nor vacate the field, least these monsters are given free reign to expand their reign of terror/absolutist cult; which unimpeded, surely will one day find its way here, along with all the localized "collateral damage"!
That being still possible as failed or successful covert operations, utilizing homegrown/UK/USA militant miscreants; and, not necessarily the product of extreme Islam, just fundamental extremism/the IQ of a moron!
I don't understand why we don't yet have thermal imaging cameras at all entry points, given just how useful in preventing medieval miscreants from lying their way past our barriers, and possibly reenacting a 9/11 scenario inside our borders!?
Armed guards bearing long arms around public buildings/parliaments, are hardly going to prevent a aerial suicide attack!
But particularly given localized air traffic and the number of pollies who very regularly use it, in a two for the price of one outcome?
And only ministerial (extreme) arrogance prevents the an immediate and essential roll out of completely covert thermal imaging and CAFR at all entry and exit points!
Which in a nutshell, is impossible to cheat or beat, space age lie detection!
Which, given my druthers, would in the first instance be applied to the Author, to see whether he is merely a deluded fool or mendacious mischief making miscreant/mass murdering Isil apologist?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 29 October 2014 11:58:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think it was Voltaire who came up with that line Rhrosty.
And you're wrong about Jihadists being of low IQ, they're typically of higher than average intelligence, and they're mostly educated and well informed young people. ISIS is the equivalent of the international brigades during the Spanish civil war, it's full of self styled Islamic intellectuals, idealistic Islamist radicals,adventurers, war junkies and mercenaries.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 29 October 2014 12:59:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Because we now (and always did) live in an indivisible quantum psycho-physical universe wherein everything is inter-connected and in which the Law of Karma IS Immutable sooner or later the chickens ALWAYS come host to roost. The time scale involved could be years, decades and even centuries.
Which is also to say that what is now being dramatized on to the world stage is the "playing out" of all kinds of individual and collective tribalistic Karmas, both recent and deeply historical.

It is only in recent times due to the widespread availability of weapons of mass destruction, whether conventional, chemical, biological and potentially nuclear that the victims of Western imperialism have found a means to effectively fight back, albeit on a limited scale.

Prior to that the "heathen savages" were kept under tight control and ferociously monstered if they got even a little a bit "uppity".

Richard Gott explains how this was done in the case of the British Empire in his book Britain's Empire. Of course the French and German's were just as ruthless too, as was King Leopold of Belgium in the case of the Congo. Leopold was of course one of the West's most "successful" mass murderers.

As does Nicolas Davies in his essay Western Imperialists Have Been Bombing Iraq For 100 Years, in the case of the Middle East and especially what is now called Iraq.

Because we always won the wars and thus considered ourselves to be superior we could never ever even conceive that such conquered and traumatized peoples could have a long collective historical memory of collective trauma and humiliation, and thus a subsequent collective desire for revenge.

Conversely we always pretend(ed) that our rulership was/is based on our presumed innately superior qualities, with our seemingly successful history being the proof of the pudding.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Wednesday, 29 October 2014 1:47:50 PM
Richard's statement is incorrect when he states:

"After all, in reality, there has not been a single death caused by a terrorist attack on Australian soil in the past three decades at least."

Presumably the "three decades" ago refers to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Hilton_Hotel_bombing in 1978.

While not mass casualty or by bomb the following, on September 23, 2014, could be classed as a death caused by terrorist attack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Endeavour_Hills_stabbings :

"Haider was carrying two knives and the Black Standard of the Islamic State."

Main events following this were http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Australian_terror_raids on September 18, 2014.

The mental state of people do not preclude the definition of terrorism.

Just because the Government has decided not to call it a terrorist attack people have their own views.
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 29 October 2014 2:52:43 PM
CORRECTIONS made in CAPITALS below:

Richard's statement is incorrect when he states:

"After all, in reality, there has not been a single death caused by a terrorist attack on Australian soil in the past three decades at least."

Presumably the "three decades" ago refers to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Hilton_Hotel_bombing in 1978.

While not mass casualty or by bomb the following, on September 23, 2014, could be classed as a death caused by terrorist attack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Endeavour_Hills_stabbings :

"Haider was carrying two knives and the Black Standard of the Islamic State."

Main events BEFORE this were http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Australian_terror_raids on September 18, 2014.

The mental state of people do not preclude the definition of terrorism.

Just because the Government has decided not to call it a terrorist attack DOESN'T MEAN IT ISN'T SO. PEOPLE have their own views.
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 29 October 2014 2:58:14 PM
Hi everyone,
Rhrosty Quote>I absolutely disagree with everything you say, but would lay down my life in order for you to say it!< Nicely said.
I have to say however that I do agree with the author.
There's too much use of the word 'terrorist' thrown around lately.
The first thing that comes to mind is the Palestinian issue.
How can these people be labelled 'terrorists' when they are simply defending their own country and a right to self determination whilst under endless occupation and discrimination?
Sure many of them think Israel doesn't have a right to exist at all, but in some ways it's a valid argument. (Not that I'm taking a stand either way.) The Palestinians weren't responsible for the Holocaust.
I have to say that if the Chinese for example or any other nation decided to try to occupy this country by force I would fight back against them. (And if it went on for 60 odd years I want want them wiped off the face of the planet too.)
It would be the right thing to do to defend my country if foreign troops invaded us. But I don't agree with the way Australia supports US and western imperialism who claim a need to start wars in their 'national interest' when they themselves have not been attacked. No foreign army has set foot on theirs or our soil, and I don't believe its right to fight a war unless you are being directly attacked.

That said, when I watch and hear things like people thrown of buildings, beheaded, crucified, set alight, raped, imprisoned and tortured for no reason at all, it becomes a little more complicated. Because what did the US and Israel (who we support) do, either blatantly or covertly to provoke them all?

Its our support of Israel and the US (particularly their foreign policy) which makes us a target.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 29 October 2014 3:05:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy