The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > David Cameron should have looked to the Australian example before he allowed the so called Scottish 'referendum'. > Comments

David Cameron should have looked to the Australian example before he allowed the so called Scottish 'referendum'. : Comments

By David Flint, published 17/9/2014

Scottish emancipation is not just a matter that affects Scotland, but all of the united kingdoms, and they all deserve a say.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
David,

As observed in recent years, the attitude of Britain's rulers has been that nothing of value can be learned from Australia.

After all, we're just convicts aren't we?
Posted by The Mild Colonial Boy, Wednesday, 17 September 2014 8:31:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A great idea, until there was an actual prospect of a yes vote.
All of those things were faced in Ireland decades ago, and they finally worked their way through.
Moreover, David Cameron put the European union at risk by proposing a referendum on that.
England has a very long tradition of using the patently purloined wealth of other nations, i.e., India, to wax fat and grow strong.
Ireland got by without the impositions of a former conquer, so can Scotland, if that's the general consensus!
I think the euro serves the Irish well, and given the similarities, it can also serve Scotland!
And given its resources, far better able to create the very next Celtic tiger, albeit, shouldn't follow the mistake that killed off the first one; i.e., debt funded foreign speculation!
The next time we have a referendum, maybe we should ask N.Z. (also a different nation) to participate, if they are in any way affected? (They were once part of NSW.)
Or maybe those of us with Scots and Irish ancestors, should ask they be allowed to participate, on the same straw-man grounds raised by the author; i.e., they could be affected!?
I hope the yes vote prevails, and Scotland finally gets long overdue home rule.
Perhaps the Welsh will think that's not a bad idea; and Northern Ireland might just consider reunification with its southern half.
After all, England, without its conquests, which it bled white; and for centuries, is nothing!
And given they all remain inside the European union and NATO's defense pact, I don't see what is really lost for the Scots!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 17 September 2014 10:07:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Scots wha hae wi' Wallace bled
Scots wham Bruce has often led
Welcome to your gory bed
Or to victory."
Burns

Och aye then noo!
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Wednesday, 17 September 2014 10:42:46 AM
I can't help but wonder who paid for this latest poltroonery from "For Sale Flint"?
The author is an intellectual "lady of the night", to put it bluntly, with a RW bent, any articles by him should come with about a kilo of salt!
Posted by G'dayBruce, Wednesday, 17 September 2014 10:50:05 AM
I can see it now.

A 15Ft high razor wire, electrified fence, going up on the top of Hadrian’s wall.

The real question is who will build it?

Will it be the Pommy government, to try to keep scotty out, or will it be the Scottish government, to try to keep him in, when the welfare money runs out?
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 17 September 2014 11:42:05 AM
If there is a majority YES vote in Scotland what a dreary country Scotland will be.

Population wise:

Glasgow* - 2,850,000

Edinburgh* - 817,800

Total
Scotland - 5,327,700

* this is Greater or Metro

Scotland will be very much influenced by the Glasgow majority. Glasgow being a dreary, wet, cold, sectarian city with a declining revenue base.

Scotland's North Sea oil production is expected to fall to one-third of its peak by 2020. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_oil#Reserves_and_production

Forget the history and bagpipes of Edinburgh. Glasgow will set the pace downwards.
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 17 September 2014 12:19:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy