The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Climate science mistakes betray the poor > Comments

Climate science mistakes betray the poor : Comments

By Tom Harris and Tim Ball, published 15/9/2014

Allocating more importance to the unpredictable problems of people yet to be born than the serious issues faced by those suffering today is immoral.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
There's so many lefty loony loot-froops involved in GW now that any intelligent discourse on the subject is almost impossible. Then you add the demented denialists with their lies and distortions and what you have is effectively the Tower of Babel.
It overshadows us all, has structure of a sort, the truth is in there somewhere, but.....it's doomed to fall, shattering humanity in the process.
And while we're down good Ol' Mother Nature is going to give us a good size 12 right in the family jewels.
And we've got the Mad Mullahs coming over the hills just for good measure, kinda makes me glad I'm not young any more.
Posted by G'dayBruce, Monday, 15 September 2014 1:35:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In my opinion, this article deliberately sets out to deceive. In paragraph 7, the authors opine that less temperature difference between tropics and arctics will mean weaker mid-latitude cyclones and therefore less extreme weather. Mid-latitude cyclones are the ordinary low pressure systems that occur between 30 and 60 degrees. A smaller temperature difference between tropics and arctics would rather result in low-pressure systems being closer to the poles. You can see this every summer, when the lows in the southern hemisphere are closer to the Antarctic.

However, this all assumes that the only extremes in weather come from low pressure systems in the mid-latitudes. This is patently wrong, as anyone who follows weather in NSW would know. In the summer time, there is leakage of tropical low pressure systems into the mid-latitudes. These so-called ‘dips’ are characteristic of the worst summer storms.

And then there are tropical storms, that are formed as a result of warm surface waters. In a situation where the earth is warming there would be an expectation of more tropical storms, rather than fewer and these storms would be less restricted to the tropics.

Then in paragraph 9, the authors quote the IPCC SREX report on climate extremes. They pick a single item from the report stating that past trends in economic losses have not been correlated with climate change.

The reason of course is obvious. When Australia’s most costly natural disaster in total terms is the 1999 Sydney hailstorm. Even in normalized terms, 5 of the top 10 most costly disasters are hailstorms in major cities. https://www.em.gov.au/Documents/AJEM_Nov08_Crompton_McAneney.PDF It is clear that where an event occurs is far more important in terms of cost than how large an event is or how many people are killed by it. Simply looking at economic losses does not provide the full story.

In paragraph 12, there is cherry picking of a couple of years of hurricane numbers to give the impression that extreme events are not increasing. However, a wider view of hurricane activity in the Atlantic http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/timeline/12729a5798fd89b70b6a232e559d4973.png shows a distinct trend for increasing numbers
Posted by Agronomist, Monday, 15 September 2014 1:44:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
More unqualified denier lies and obsfucation.
Forget about the unborn for a moment. What about children of today who are born and will live to the year 2100 or later? Do they not matter either? I hope youre not expecting them to look after you in your old age.

I love the way it is all about "the poor". So caring, so generous. But we all know that deniers have more than a bit of the rightard about them and are hardly known for their support and compassion to those they see as beneath them. As usual it is all about keeping the fossil fuel leeches rich and comfortable and to hell with the rest of us.

The day will come when the evidence is irrefutable and since by then it will be too late I would not like to be a published denier when the food and water runs out and the mobs rise up.
Posted by mikk, Monday, 15 September 2014 3:35:41 PM
P.S. Well said Agronomist.
Posted by mikk, Monday, 15 September 2014 3:37:12 PM
Runner,
I don't understand the denialist obsession with Al Gore.

You make it seem that he discovered AGW when he was just a high profile mouthpiece who was used to narrate a documentary.

I suppose David Attenborough discovers everything about those animals he presents on his nature specials too?

Talk about a strange view of reality.

Can't switching to cleaner energy options be seen as cleaning up the environment?

Are the only "true" scientists that 3% (including those on the energy corporation payroll) and the remaining 97% all frauds?
Posted by wobbles, Monday, 15 September 2014 9:40:59 PM
The poor have certainly been betrayed.
In a remote developing nation village where I am often based the poor government and people were tricked into solar lighting about 4 years ago but now the batteries are failing.
So what now is to be done with worn out batteries?
And cost of replacement batteries is beyond capability of government aid and people without paid employment and enough money or any cash money at all.
I think solar car battery replacement costs about AU$10,000.00 every 5 to 10 years.
All truth about all renewable energy should be debated in full
Posted by JF Aus, Tuesday, 16 September 2014 10:21:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy