The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Blueprint for an ageing Australia > Comments

Blueprint for an ageing Australia : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 4/9/2014

If we act now, we can ensure that we will turn ageing into a significant social and economic asset, not a liability, and the Blueprint for an Ageing Australia that we present to the nation today strives to do exactly this.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Not so, individual.

>>what to do with them when you've got them and what happens to them when they are released, Pericles, If you consider that a problem then we do have a problem, a really big one if others think the same way.<<

I don't consider it a "problem". I was just pointing out that nobody I have come across who huffs and puffs about compulsory National Service, has the faintest clue when it comes to contemplating the reality of it. Having never had to organize or manage anything in their lives, they think that just repeating the same thing over and over suddenly makes it possible.

So, why don't you answer those four simple questions for us, to show that you are not just some old guy, mouthing off about how the youth of today is just a bunch of degenerate louts.

Then, when you have answered those simple questions, we can start to work out whether your idea has any merit.

From where I sit, I see that young people today have little enough prospect of starting a career in the way we were able to back in the (say) sixties, that to actively promote the idea that we should give old people priority access, financial help, training classes and so on, to give them a helping hand into the already-scarce-enough jobs, is iniquitous in the extreme.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 8 September 2014 7:27:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles,
You just don't get it so it's best you just forget about it. There has to someone out there who sees the merit in it all.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 11 September 2014 3:03:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd be more than happy to do exactly that, individual.

>>You just don't get it so it's best you just forget about it.<<

Except that every so often, someone with an axe to grind will inevitably bring the subject up again, together with the whole "what today's youth needs is a kick up the arse" rubbish. At which time, I will once again ask "so, how exactly do you propose that will work?" And as ever, the answer will be a resounding silence.

Until we become a military dictatorship, National Service will remain the anachronism that it most assuredly is.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 11 September 2014 4:09:31 PM
"what today's youth needs is a kick up the arse" rubbish.
Pericles,
As I said you just don't get it ! Just concentrate on the fashion problems of some frivolous pop music idol, it's more your mentality.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 11 September 2014 6:59:51 PM
I was simply paraphrasing, individual.

>>"what today's youth needs is a kick up the arse" rubbish. Pericles, As I said you just don't get it !<<

Here's your original:

>>...people like you wouldn't want the poor darlings to have to get their little hands dirty & get out of bed before 10am. That's why people like you are so vehemmently against a National service.<<

Not much difference there, eh.

>>There has to someone out there who sees the merit in it all.<<

I'm sure that you meet them every day. Birds of a feather and all that.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 11 September 2014 7:19:22 PM
Not much difference there, eh.
Pericles,
Are you alright ? Not much difference ? I think you need to seek help. This is about our society losing all focus & descending into unrecoverable chaos & you don't want to act ?
Are you a masochist ? Or are you just another Leftie who thinks doing nothing will prevent it all from going bad ? Crickey mate, you scare me especially if there are many more like you.
Did the Arabs or Chinese offer you good money for your mother by any chance ? It certainly looks that way. You don't really give the impression of doing your bit to keep Australia from sliding into the same mayhem as all the other countries whose populace had the same mentality as you.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 13 September 2014 5:46:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy