The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Team Australia: from bad fashion to bad politics > Comments

Team Australia: from bad fashion to bad politics : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 1/9/2014

Like any term drawn out of some faux nationalism (can there be any other?), it divides on the pretext of uniting.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
Incredible that this calibre of writing and thinking gets you a Commonwealth scholarship to Cambridge. Apparently 10 year olds holding up severed heads is ok but the PM using a phrase like 'Team Australia'isn't.

It's as if IS don't know that 'we are us'. If only we could have Kev and Jooles back. Hey, why don't we send Jooles over to tell them herself? If that fails we'll send Kev over with some programmitic specificity. That'll learn them.
Posted by dane, Monday, 1 September 2014 7:31:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd have to differ, dane; it's nice to see this calibre of writing on OLO. A very nice sophisticated piece, worthy of "Punch"!
Abbott's Team Australia propaganda is an insult to anyone with half a brain.
Posted by Squeers, Monday, 1 September 2014 8:13:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...Well, "team horse-trailer", is more white noise from the political sound generator of Canberra. Sleep inducing ambient sound waves, looped through the ABC news 24 and the Murdock FTA's. Don't worry, it'll pass! Zzz.
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 1 September 2014 8:15:11 AM
...And I'm proud I can't spell Murdock, very proud!
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 1 September 2014 8:19:19 AM
It's "so" obvious what the Abbott govt is attempting with this.

Anyone who has watched Question Time lately will note that, while the Opposition is concentrating on budgetary questions, etc, the first bunch of questions from govt members each sitting are all on terrorism, border protection, overseas theatres of conflict...etc.

Apart from Tony attempting to paint himself as some sort of ACME statesman - there's nothing like a good dose of whipped up hysteria to get the public onside when your budget stinks and your polls are lower than a duck's backside.

This cartoon by Broelman sums it up perfectly.

http://broelman.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/what-to-do-in-a-budget-emergency/
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 1 September 2014 8:40:41 AM
I'm sorry Dane, did you have a comment to make about the article. If so I would like to read it. Thus far all you have done is attack the author, another favoured trick of the far right.
Posted by Carz, Monday, 1 September 2014 8:41:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy