The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Assisted dying - a question of misplaced trust > Comments

Assisted dying - a question of misplaced trust : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 22/7/2014

Good intentions do not necessarily make good public policy. It is very often the fear of suffering, not actual suffering itself, that is at the core of the debate about assisted dying.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Yuyutsu, you live in a democratic society, not on your own on an island.
We have to have laws.
There are laws I don't like either, but I have to weigh that up with all the laws I consider necessary.

Seat belts and helmets save lives and lead to less severe injuries in accidents, and thus less money we all have to pay out for their hospital bills.

You may not ever want to ask for euthanasia, but please allow others to exercise their rights to be able to have it.
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 23 July 2014 8:12:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Suse,

<<We have to have laws.>>

Some laws are legitimate, others are not.

No society, irrespective of how it is internally organised (democratically for instance) may legitimately use more powers than the sum of the legitimate powers of its constituents that was delegated to it by those constituents.

<<Seat belts and helmets save lives and lead to less severe injuries in accidents, and thus less money we all have to pay out for their hospital bills.>>

Who said we have to pay, especially the bills of those who do not want us to pay them?
I never asked the state to try save my life or prevent my injuries. I certainly didn't request it to pay any hospital fees on my behalf - I was not even consulted!

I want to be able to pledge, in a formal and binding statement, that under all circumstances I desire no financial assistance from the state, in any shape or form, including of hospital bills. If I ever choose to go to hospital, then the onus is on me to pay for it.

Once I can make this pledge (but not before), it would become legitimate for the state to tell everyone: "look, if you don't sign this pledge then you must wear seat-belts and helmets".

<<You may not ever want to ask for euthanasia, but please allow others to exercise their rights to be able to have it.>>

I am not your father nor your mother, so how come you ask me to allow you anything? What makes you think that you need my permission?

Since I am not your guardian, I neither allow nor disallow you anything, including euthanasia. Rather, it is your puffed-up government which considers itself to be your guardian (or nanny), without your consent I presume, and therefore DISALLOWS euthanasia. Those hooligans have no moral right to do so, never did.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 24 July 2014 1:08:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy