The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Not in my name Mr Morrison: compassion and public policy, a case study of Australia and asylum seekers > Comments

Not in my name Mr Morrison: compassion and public policy, a case study of Australia and asylum seekers : Comments

By Noel Preston, published 21/7/2014

The claim that one compassionate good is achieved (stopping drownings) should not come at the cost other unjustified practices.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Dear SM,

Oh come off it mate. We both know the report shows the humanitarian migrant unemployment rate is under 12% and that Centrelink payments include things like childcare rebates.

With humanitarian migrants as opposed to skilled migrants I would have thought the question was not what they could do for us but rather what we could do for them. We are giving them resources to make new lives in a country where they are not in fear of their lives. Our expectations of course need to be different to other streams and the numbers are really very small.

I and so many other Australians are proud of the help we are able to extend to these people. It is part of what makes us a great country. You and others want to tear this down and it is shameful.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 12:10:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SR,

No we don't. Where do you get your information?

Try the dept of immigration latest report:

http://www.dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/01_2014/settlement-outcomes-new-arrival_access.docx

The employment stats have a lot to do with the motivations of the refugees and their impact on Australia. Those that gain employment contribute to the country and the community, those that are unemployed are burden to the taxpayer and unemployment does little for them or the community.

While Australians are generous, there is a limit to the load they are prepared to carry. Someone paying taxes is a far lighter load than someone purely on welfare. Skilled migrants generally pay far more in tax than they get in benefits and refugees quite the opposite.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 12:40:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SteeleRedux - Quote "The unemployment rate of refugees after 5 years is 12.5%."

As you would say - where is you source for this?

No you did not counter the fact from the Government dep't that 85% were still on welfare after 5 years. In your deluded mind you may not believe it but it but it was a fact.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 1:03:39 PM
Yes, Steele, I miss the good old days of our once proud Australia. We had a White Australia policy and a simple dictation test rid us of any undesirables.
These days, we let Muslims in, and the South Western suburbs are shot up, on weekends. We can thank the bleeding heart clowns like Steele, and Noel, and every Green voter, for the mess we have. James O’Neill, self appointed representative of the pathetic minority, invites Noel to ignore every sensible comment on this thread. Better advice to Noel would be to wake up to himself and try to have some sense, by ignoring the anti-socials, who wish to thwart the democratic process which put Morrison and Abbott in charge. They carry out the will of the Australian people, in our name, despite whingers like Noel.
Posted by Leo Lane, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 1:31:30 PM
Dear phillips and SM,

The information is in the link you provided. Perhaps you could read it. Try Table 9: Employment category by migration stream.

Tomorrow is the third anniversary of a certain massacre in Norway. That man was also trying to get rid of 'undesirables'. I will be remembering the victims. I will leave it to you and certain others posting here to spare a thought for the gunman, everyone deserves a friend.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 4:30:27 PM
The delusional Steele has found a connection between a dictation test and a massacre in Norway. He has posted it to remind us that he is generally referred to as “Witless”..
Whenever he runs himself up a blind alley his posts descend into this style of gibberish.
Posted by Leo Lane, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 4:59:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy