The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Not in my name Mr Morrison: compassion and public policy, a case study of Australia and asylum seekers > Comments

Not in my name Mr Morrison: compassion and public policy, a case study of Australia and asylum seekers : Comments

By Noel Preston, published 21/7/2014

The claim that one compassionate good is achieved (stopping drownings) should not come at the cost other unjustified practices.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I wonder when people thought that allowing people in the country who love our welfare but often hate the freedom of the West is compassionate. I would of thought true compassion comes from individuals who give of their own resources rather than spending other peoples (tax payers) money. The left seem to be champions at spending other people's money while sucking on the public purse.
Posted by runner, Monday, 21 July 2014 3:44:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Occasionally you have to be cruel to be kind.

How I wish we could run a separate section of Australia and fill it with all the compassionate lefties like Noel. They would be free to import all 30 million of the world's refugees. They would be free to spend all of their government's money on feel-good policies. They would be free to eliminate industry and business in favour of saving the environment. They would have no need for coal, oil, plastic, metal (or any mining), transport, weapons, domestic animals or agriculture. They could pray to their god Gaia. The boys could be free to marry all the boys and likewise the girls (and the animals). They could restrict speech to nice words only. Nobody would ever be insulted. They would speak all the well known Aboriginal languages which are so often used in international diplomacy. They wouldn't need democracy because all of us on the right will have been eliminated leaving only the fully enlightened.

And then we realists would be allowed to control OUR borders properly.
Posted by Captain Col, Monday, 21 July 2014 4:41:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Make sure you keep up the good work "Mr Morrison" in my name, & in that of all sensible Ozzies. You may have caught the rot, just before it became unmanageable.

Don't pay any attention to clowns like Noel. If he had any real interest in ethics, he would be trying to tear the global warming fraud apart, not worrying about gate crashing illegals, after our welfare.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 21 July 2014 7:51:02 PM
Vitally important principles:

We should be offering refuge to those in the greatest need, as Tombee says.

We need to head towards a stable population and concentrate on the declining state of our infrastructure, services, environment and resource base, in line with G’dayBruce’s sentiments.

And we need to shut down onshore asylum seeking once and for all and regain full control of who comes to this country.

We’ve got to head towards a sustainable society, which necessitates a stable population. So we need to progressively reduce our immigration intake down to net zero. We could raise the total refugee intake as we do this. Ultimately, the refugee category should be the biggest category of our immigration program, with skills being reduced to only a small component, and family reunion likewise.

Immigration should not exceed net zero. That is; a given year’s intake should not exceed the emigration total for the previous year. Even at a stabilised net zero immigration rate, we would be able to take in about twice as many refugees annually as we now do.

This would give us the best balance between looking after our national future and being a compassionate global citizen.

But again; there should be NO onshore (or fly-in) asylum seeking, and those who try it on would need to be smartly repatriated or perhaps settled in New Guinea or elsewhere if those countries will take them, if it is too dangerous for them to be sent home. Anything other than this, which would mean settling people in Australia, would prompt another big movement of people on rickety boats heading our way… and displacing refugees in greater need of resettlement.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 21 July 2014 11:17:14 PM
Noel Preston’s eight 'Proposals for a substantial change in policy on asylum seekers' are just extraordinary. He says that he does not envisage an open door policy….. but this is EXACTLY what these sort of changes in policy would achieve!

Just the opposite is needed - A decisive policy shutting down onshore asylum seeking. The more decisive it is, the less people are going to get caught in the middle of it.

This is what Abbott and Morrison are trying to achieve. And I say good on them for that.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 21 July 2014 11:18:35 PM
Dear Noel,

Thank you for a timely and compassionate piece. You have reminded me of what Australia and Australians once stood for, a real sense that human beings should be treated with care and respect.

I'm afraid the new 'chattering classes' are now made up of those like the posters before me on this thread. Selfish, strictured, grasping, whingers with little moral fibre and a deep need to see the reputation of this once proud nation squandered in anti-refugee rants and actions that only bring shame and rightful condemnation. They are not the majority but their fears and prejudices have them screaming the loudest and we have a government acting in their name.

For us to be now in bed with a nation almost universally regarded as a continuing abuser of human rights, of torture, of summarily executing its citizens is absolutely mortifying. Well Noel, not in my name either.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 21 July 2014 11:47:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy