The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Violence in pubs will continue as long as the culture of male aggression > Comments

Violence in pubs will continue as long as the culture of male aggression : Comments

By Michael Flood, published 28/1/2004

Michael Flood analyses the male culture of pub bravado in Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
As I listen to my partner,67, engage with his two grandsons 9,11 teaching them to play poker, monopoly, or driving a ride mower I can't help but think there must be another way to teach boys of this age a sense of fair play and consideration of themselves without the put down or critiscm of each other. With phrases like "i'm gonna gut you" or continual one upmanship, never letting the younger boys win and continuing to withhold information which woul allow them to think for themselves and occasionally win. Why is it that boys never seem to be told to "think about other people" or " you are not the only one in this house who needs to ?? Instead there seem to be so many mixed messages of never having to wait for anything they want including food- they simply help themselves without asking unless I step in and tell them as it is not their home they need to ask for what they want, causing disputes with my partner. They are indulges with material tthings so much that they seem to have no respect for them and when they break them they just ask for another and its given. What values are we teaching these children who are taught they can have whatever they want whenever they want, except fairness, kindness, honesty and respect and boundaries.
Posted by truefemale, Monday, 17 April 2006 5:11:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To deny that males are responsible for the majority of violent incidents would be flat out wrong, but I would also believe it is a large generalisation to say that young boys are never told to think about other people or their feelings. I know I was told, and I'm near certain most of my male friends' parents instilled in them similar values.

Being competitive isn't also necessarily a bad thing. Achievement motivation and learning to build skills are important. But, as you suggest, these should be moderated with lessons that winning isn't everything, politeness pays, and a cool head prevails.
Posted by thelatemail, Thursday, 20 July 2006 4:36:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy