The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Divorce: escape from a toxic marriage > Comments

Divorce: escape from a toxic marriage : Comments

By Mary Garden, published 9/7/2014

The pet idea of Minister for Social Services Kevin Andrews is a $20 million pilot project introduced this month where couples can get a $200 counselling voucher to encourage them to stay together.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I have long given up on trying to understand the catholic attitude on marriage - especially the dictates re the marriages of other people by those who don't marry at all.
It has been bought to my attention that Kevin Andrew's wife (or perhaps both of them)has a substantial interest in a 'marriage guidance' business - a business that seemingly stands to benefit from the $200 voucher scheme.
Posted by GYM-FISH, Wednesday, 9 July 2014 1:35:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If $200 worth of counselling helps a couple repair a viable marriage then it's a good investment. I agree, though, that it’s counterproductive to try to hold a toxic or irreparable marriage together.

I know two couples who stayed together for the sake of their kids and divorced once their children reached adulthood. It cost them a lot in emotional terms and in foregoing the opportunity to build a better life. I respect their decisions but wonder whether it was actually better for the kids. Living with parents in a loveless relationship creates its own problems. These things are difficult and complicated – it’s not as simple as being pro- or anti- divorce.
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 9 July 2014 2:45:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A voucher to encourage people to stay together is weird
Candide,
probably no more weird than vouchers to entice kids to go to school. Once people do the basics of life just for money then there's no point in wasting time on them.
Stop making it so hard for people & the divorce rate will drop. It's only bureau rat induced stress that is the major cause for relationship bust-ups. As long as our authorities are allowed to be as incompetent & stupid as they got under Labor then we can't really solve any societal problems. Your average Council is so dumb & callous that it can ruin a couple's relationship in no time at all. Add to this the dumbing down of a couple's kids by our so-called education & the circle is complete. Australian Television then compounds the lot !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 9 July 2014 5:04:43 PM
MRY Garden women are controlling over men, having written posts regarding this subject with Robert( unknown) on another OLO story, women are always portrayed as the innocent party, but having lived from early childhood and through life where my mother treated not only us but my father with utmost mental and physical violence.
All writers must include both genders for any problem in divorce, not only how violent men are, I can vouch for the trauma of what went on in a supposedly "happy"marriage"
Posted by Ojnab, Wednesday, 9 July 2014 9:07:51 PM
...Maybe Macca's should be compelled to sell "Bromide" sandwiches!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 9 July 2014 9:15:37 PM
...Hey "Indie"

...Less "honesty" please!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 9 July 2014 9:23:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy