The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The importance of communities > Comments

The importance of communities : Comments

By Guy Hallowes, published 30/6/2014

The current State Government, even with the existing planning laws, has done much to threaten the very existence of those communities throughout Sydney.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
"Few of the blocks of units being built in the Mowbray Precinct are occupied so we don't yet know what the community will look like when they are."

Yes we do: Chinese.

Where is all this population growth coming from?
Not from native births.

Immigration.

But this is beyond the powers of the state governments.
Blame the immigration lobby and the *federal* minister responsible.
Posted by Shockadelic, Monday, 30 June 2014 11:33:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shockadelic is right about the responsibility of the federal government. From ABS figures, 60% of our population growth is from immigration. Furthermore, about a third of our natural increase is from births to mothers born overseas. With zero net immigration, ~70,000 a year, we would only have about a quarter of the population growth that we have now, and it would be declining every year until it ceased altogether at some time in the 2030s.

I agree with everything that Guy Hallowes says about the reductions in quality of life that come with high density and the undemocratic way that this is being forced on communities. Even so, he and people like him were given a chance to vote against the high population growth that is driving high density at the last federal election, by voting for the Stable Population Party (now the Sustainable Population Party) or one of the other small parties that want to reduce immigration. A big vote for a stable population would have probably made the major parties pull in their horns a bit, even though their Big Business donors want cheap labour and lots of development. Big Business can give the major political parties money, but they can't force you or me to vote for them. If the folks in Lave Cove don't want to bother to help themselves, then they are simply whiners and don't deserve much sympathy.
Posted by Divergence, Monday, 30 June 2014 12:10:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Guy, things change.

My mother used to bake blackberry pie with the blackberries we picked where Top Ryde shopping center now stands. We used to ride horses in Lane Cove national park.

I doubt I would much like your Lane Cove, I'm sure I would have preferred it to stay as it was in my youth.

I recently spent some time driving around Southerland, looking for the pre WW11 fibro box I lived in in the late 50s. It doesn't exist, & neither does the first home I owned, a little ex farm laborers cottage in Fairfield. The nearby bush I walked my dogs in was disappearing under houses even before I left.

Hell I used to be able to park in Pitt St, to take my girlfriend to the movies.

I agree Sydney was a much better place, & the lives of it's people were richer than today, but do look to the good side. With the huge increase in real estate value the growth has bequeathed to you, you can get the hell out & become part of a sea, or tree change community, with enough money to enjoy it.

Yes immigration has destroyed the Sydney I once loved, & it will never be as good as it was then. However you don't have to endure it, take your big nest egg, & go find your nirvana.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 30 June 2014 2:28:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy