The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dear Prime Minister, I wish you had a son > Comments

Dear Prime Minister, I wish you had a son : Comments

By Babette Francis, published 26/6/2014

The Prime Minister claims his PPL is a workplace entitlement like sick leave or holiday pay but these are paid for by the mothers' employers and factored into their cost of doing business.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
One can't ague that PPL, is just the same as say, work entitlement, extended sick leave!
Even there, there is never ever full wages replacement, but a percentage! 75-85%!?
And usually from super plumped up with a centre link sickness benefit?
The taxpayer funded sickness benefit component, is virtually the same maximum for all who qualify; and never ever adjusts anywhere but downward, as your personal means increase?
Which simply makes the quite risible PM's argument, both specious and spurious!
The only case that can genuinely be made here, is that over the top, public service entitlements, must be brought into line, with the general public average, not visa versa!
Now if the PM were to mount a similar case and funding for child care, he may not only have much more support, particularly in his own ranks, but earn highly deserved kudos from the general public as well!?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 26 June 2014 11:18:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that this is an important article especially for MPs in marginal seats who are going to get it in the neck at the next election. I might point out that any mug can run Australia on the basis of families having two pay packets. It's more difficult to run Australia on the basis of families having one pay packet but it can be done. Sir Robert Menzies did it in the 1950s and so did Ben Chifley in the 1940s. The family is the basic unit of society. The state is the family of families so that if the family is sound the state will be sound. (This is state in the more general sense not States like Victoria.)
Posted by Gadfly42, Thursday, 26 June 2014 11:26:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr Abbott has shown that he is flawed like every other human being. His ambition has caused him to compromise what is decent and fair for children needing a mother to nuture and bring them up in early days. This is a well written article. Hopefully mad Clive Palmer and his circus will stop Mr Abbott from introducing his idiotic pp scheme.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 26 June 2014 11:46:37 AM
Thank you, Babette, for giving our Prime Minister the sage advice he sorely needs but is not getting from his Cabinet colleagues, the Australian Productivity Commission and the powerful feminist lobby.

Tony Abbott and Treasurer Joe Hockey are continuing Labor's policy of cutting family tax benefits to single-income two-parent households while subsidising (through the paid parental leave scheme) well-off households on two full-time incomes.

Such retrograde, anti-family policies are sheer madness.

I'm afraid that Tony Abbott, if he doesn't heed Babette Francis's rebuke and change course, will face the wrath of disillusioned voters at the next election
Posted by John from Melbourne, Thursday, 26 June 2014 4:49:10 PM
Babette,

I agree with everything you wrote but Abbott had to offer the PPL due to the hysterical 'Abbott's a misogynist' smear by the handbag hit squad.

When you have an all-powerful pressure group like feminism, it distorts the political process. That is simply what happened here.

Abbott had to neutralize the political threat at almost any cost. After all, if Labor were re-elected there would be not be 5 billion extra outlays for self-serving feminists but 500 billion for every self-serving group in the country. We would go from a massive surplus to a Greece in a decade. Astonishing.

It is refreshing to hear a call for a commissioner for men and boys too. I feel especially sorry for boys in today's schools. They are bastions of feminism where everything male is seen as wrong. This is degrading and would never be tolerated for any other group in society.
Posted by dane, Thursday, 26 June 2014 8:35:23 PM
Babette, you are a disgrace, using Tony Abbott's obvious distress at believing he had fathered a son out of wedlock not long after training to be a priest, to push your anti-abortion barrow.

How do you know that he and his wife didn't try hard to have a son themselves?
And then to have a go at his gay sister to push your anti-homosexual barrow.
It isn't your business.

If I was Tony Abbott I wouldn't listen to a word of this absolute rubbish article.
Abbott knows that he took his 'signature policy' of PPL to the polls last year, and many people voted him in because of it.

If there were all these horrified 'pro-family' voters out there who didn't want this policy brought in, then they didn't show at the polls did they?
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 26 June 2014 11:46:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy