The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Take an axe to profligate child care and parental leave programmes > Comments

Take an axe to profligate child care and parental leave programmes : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 10/6/2014

Besides costing taxpayers an enormous amount of money, these programmes are highly regressive and discriminate against families who look after their own children.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I have no issue with maternity leave and subsided child care for working mothers. Coming from a nursing background I understand the consequences of pushing nurses and female doctors out of the workplace for years whilst their children are young. We would have a staffing crisis in our hospitals that no amount of overseas workers could nullify.
What I am totally against is subsidised care for unemployed women. How many of the public are aware that single mothers on parenting pension get two subsidised days of care a week? Why? When so many working women cannot find child care for their children, we have places going to single mothers so they can pursue their personal interests. I know quite a few that spend those days playing the pokies. Others use the time for day long shopping sprees at local shopping centres, including lunch with friends.
I find find the whole practise abhorrent and it is one budget cut the government needs to seriously look at.
Posted by Big Nana, Tuesday, 10 June 2014 8:52:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well given more than half the voters are also women, good luck with that sir!
Instead of the wedge, us against them politics, or the old as the roman empire, divide and rule politics; we'd be far better served, with some real reform, that not only fixes the budget structural deficit; makes the tax system completely fair and equitable; but, reduces actual tax compliance costs!
Consequently, producing on average, around a 7% net benefit, and also ends endemic avoidance; meaning, there enough money in the pot to afford reasonable maternity leave, and child care, which is far and away, vastly more important to working mums!
We are not a them or us sir, but a WE.
What effect one section of society, affects us all.
We confront a future, where everyone will need a very good education.
Creating evermore, new post code poverty traps, with this divide and rule, or wedge nonsense, will not only not achieve that outcome, but possibly sideline our best and brightest!
If we are to take an axe to something, it has to be the Author's dumber than dumb wedge politics!
I mean, com'on, isn't the coalition already in enough electoral difficulty?
So why in the name of plain old common sense, would anyone try to turn half their voting demographic against themselves, with these divide and rule, rank, risible stupid and patently cruel ideas!
Really sir, the only thing we need to take an axe to, is a self evident lack of real choice and really risible mantras, that chain pugnacious pompous paltry parsimonious puerile popinjays and look at me, look at me, preening preaching peacocks, to their patent paucity of constructive ideas!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 10 June 2014 9:29:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So big (little) nana. You'd punish a few hundred thousand single mums, for the sins of a few dozen, playing the pokies?
Where do you think these women get their endless pokie money, work start? LOL!
I dare say, rather, from the oldest profession?
And people just like a demonstrable, incredibly judgmental you, would punish the rest, for the lack of moral scruples, [or lack of other choices?] on the part of a few.
Wait until tax part B is finally phased out, when your youngest turns six and then lets see how vocal you are, as a patent, (dyed in the wool) and blatant coalition supporter!
And really, all of this rubbish is just so unnecessary, as is, policies whose only possible outcome, is a whole new host of postcode poverty traps!
As someone raised by a single mum, condemned to struggle by judgmental people, not unlike you?
I say, shame on you big (little, mean minded mind, and tiny, stone cold heart) nana.
Shame on your paucity of charity, and or, simple charitable thoughts!
People everywhere, invariably judge others on their own personal standards!
Which makes all of your, generally, ultra-critical posts thus far, far more revealing, than you would have the world know?
Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the hardest, meanest, bitchiest, ugliest on the inside, mother of them all?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 10 June 2014 10:03:06 AM
Is the sub-text in this article "Kinder, Küche, Kirche for women"?
Posted by EmperorJulian, Tuesday, 10 June 2014 1:08:22 PM
If you can`t feed them don`t breed them.
Contraception does exist.
Use it please.
Posted by ateday, Tuesday, 10 June 2014 1:09:40 PM
Big Nana is nothing if not generous. Prepared to see women get a leave pass from the kitchen if to do otherwise would hit "the economy". Otherwise it's shackles for you, ladies.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Tuesday, 10 June 2014 1:49:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy